Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 Calibre saves a lot of hassle discuss

20 Calibre saves a lot of hassle discuss

.20 -
    As well as being the best all round Uk power caliber it saves so much hassle
    You can set a springer at 11.4 with FTT and a pcp same with jsb and not have to worry some new silly super pellet will send velocity all over the shop.
    All you need is one good accurate dome head anyway which those two always are :

Discuss -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Do you get hassle a lot ?!
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Discuss -
    Is that an invitation, a request, or an instruction?

Well my Rapid shoots FTT at a higher ME than JSB, but I do agree with the sentiment.

I would certainly disagree with it being the 'best' UK calibre. With the selection of pellet weights now available in .177 and .22, I would say it's obsolete.

It is a shame the Bisley Superfield is no longer around as this was a brilliant .20 pellet.

While my 97 .20 is superbly accurate it does prefer the HW branded JSB which at a smidge over 13 grains puts them into .22 territory.

I'm a fan of the calibre but agree, it could be obsolete.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    best UK sub 12 springer hunting calibre
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

What hassle??????
    No, .20 is Cr**
    VAYA CON DIOS

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by R0B View Post
    I would certainly disagree with it being the 'best' UK calibre. With the selection of pellet weights now available in .177 and .22, I would say it's obsolete.
    While I agree with the first part of your statement, it doesn't follow that any of the pellet weights in the .20 ball park are any good for your particular rifle.

Similarly the OP seems to be alluding to the lack of choice being an advantage, which kind of fails miserably when the manufacturer of your preferred pellet either drops production of it or changes it.
    Dies don't last forever and I'll bet there's less incentive for them to replace them when quality starts to fall off vs when they have to.

Gets out popcorn .......
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Certainly my favourite at legal limit. I find my rifles go really well with either FTT (11.4 grain) or JSB (13.7 grain).
    At FAC power levels it is more clear cut in my experience. I set my rifle to produce 800 ft sec with the most accurate pellet which normally turns out to be the JSB 13.7 grain so making the power ~20 ft lb.
    Crosman Premiers are problematic and I don't really know why. I find most barrels I have owned go better when paired with JSB. However if the Premiers go well for you they are devastating as the higher antimony content of the lead mix makes for a harder pellet.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

It’s marmite. Fans love it. A nearly 177 that hits nearly like a 22, or a nearly 22 that flies nearly like a 177.

Its critics say it combines the weaknesses of both more than their strengths.

I’m agnostic. I have 3, and like them. But, as a factual matter, demand for .20” on the U.K. and global markets has shrunk since a possible hey-day in the 80s and continues to reduce, and the number of available pellet types (though all good ones) has gone down in a few years from about ten to about five or six, and, in my judgment, is likely to get smaller not bigger.

I’ve said it before, but I can only see a resurgence of .20” if a possible lead ban made .177” much less viable as a pest control calibre than it currently is. Please though don’t derail this into a lead ban thread.

While governed by the 12fpe law ALL calibres have to compromise on something.

.177 to be fast & flat must be light wt which reduces the energy the mass can carry so it loses momentum & terminal energy faster.
    .22 due to the pellet mass hold's it's momentum & retains better terminal energy, but due to the limited muzzle energy has a far more pronounced trajectory curve.
    .20 just happens to have a frontal area x mass that suits 12fpe far better than the others, giving a better BC, & terminal energy, So while it's still a compromise, as a sub 12 HUNTING pellet it's a better compromise than either one.

You only appreciate how good .20 really is when you actually go out & use it, in a properly set up rifle.

However once you remove the muzzle energy limit (FAC) .22 or .25 make more sense.
    Last edited by angrybear; 03-02-2023 at 07:18 PM.

Yarn Yarn. Same old same old.
    .20 is unnecessary and almost pointless.
    For the flattest trajectory, tightest groups and more success on a FT/HFT course you choose .177.
    For hunting of any power level, accuracy kills not size, so again the most accurate calibre, smallest groups etc .177 under 12ftlb.
    FAC air .22 or .25, but I don't really see the point. If you need more range than FT ranges then use Rim or HMR.
    VAYA CON DIOS

The jsb 15.9grain pellet transforms the .20 in fac.