Thread: 20 Calibre saves a lot of hassle discuss

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Why, when there are tools to fill the gaps ?
    Not really anti .20, I just don't see the point as they don't fly as flat, or hit as hard and generally they are the two reasons for choosing either .177 or .22.
    The point is, it's like choosing either one, but coupled with most of the benefits of the other included, not being able to understand that is typical "HFT/competition mentality"

Bet you have note pads and drawings of different trajectories and either aim points or adjustments on scope for every rig.
    NO
    Carrying all that kit sounds slow, laborious and tedious.
    So what ? I'm not in a race

I take my rifle, and I know every adjustment as its all I use. Like instinct or auto pilot. By the time you set yourself up, get comfy, range the quarry, adjust or settle with an aim point Id have shot half a dozen rabbits. What do you do when your quarry moves, range again and again and again, or if you have a .22 or .25 and quarry goes out to 40m+.
    So do I most of the time, if the quarry moves I might stalk a bit closer or I might adjust the POA,
    If it moves a long way, I just don't take the shot, because it's not a competition I don't have to try & hit everything I see !

.177 out to 50-55 is all ya need, whether it be airgun quarry or FT/HFT, it does it all and well.
    There's that, 'I must take the shot' HFT/competition mentality again, just because you can doesn't mean you should, 50-55yds is beyond sensible sub12 hunting range, far too much can effect the shot, stalk closer.

Runners with a .177, ya missing a vital period, bigger pellet and more power doesn't help, you still missed a vital, = wounded animal. Maybe not for long but still suffering. Shame we aren't closer to each other, then I could show you first hand how clinical my rig is, like I have done many times before.
    Bigger pellet/more impact energy does help, as does a larger surface area which transfers more terminal energy to the prey,

Tools should go .177, .22LR or .17HMR, .243.

Ya know I agree with nearly everything you say there AB, at sub 12 the difference in power retention between .20 and .177 is actually very little and it is 0.5mm wider in diameter. There is no real world advantage.
    If you get a placebo effect from using a larger heavier calibre then fair enough, as all calibres will do the job if you hit the mark. Its just easier with .177 to be more clinical.
    Last edited by gsxrman; 07-02-2023 at 04:15 PM.
    VAYA CON DIOS