Thread: Legality of exporting a moderator

Legality of exporting a moderator

As Sweden now allows the use of moderators for anyone with FAC I'd like to get one for my Bora, but what are the legal status of exporting one from UK?
    I know that within the UK you'd have to do the transfer face to face or ship it to a RFD, but would it be ok to ship it out of the country to me?

An AA side lever doesn't really need one, but it's mostly that it should have one to be complete.
    The rifle is a bit of a time capsule from 1989.

Private sales can be done by post so they will just have to comply with your import and our export rules. There probably will be a import duty code you will need.

I think it would depend on your customs people.
    You may need to prove you have an fac certificate.

To import an fac into the UK, a form needs to be completed and sent with the firearm.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Thank you!

I'll check with customs then.

The problem is more likely to be our UK export rules, International export of anything gun related from the UK is a nightmare & it would have to be declared on our customs forms.

Even our postal service prohibits carrying gun parts in international post.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I would suggest buying from Germany. No customs issues and mail order of moderators is allowed

That's not the problem, Krale for one is a good shop to get moderators, but I'm specifically looking for an Air Arms slip on moderator for 9/16 barrels from the late 80's/early 90's.

And that's a hard item to find in a web shop.

For air rifles in the UK no licence required, they are just a tube. There are no UK Laws regarding air rifle moderators. As for export of an air rifle moderator then local laws may apply, so that is Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    For air rifles in the UK no licence required, they are just a tube. There are no UK Laws regarding air rifle moderators. As for export of an air rifle moderator then local laws may apply, so that is Sweden.
    So what do you write on the customs export paperwork ?
    Because anything other than "airgun moderator" is a lie, & while legal to post in the UK they are not legal in international post.

Until I see something to the contrary in writing, I assume an airgun mod is covered by the same laws as sub 12 airguns, which still come under UK firearms law.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    So what do you write on the customs export paperwork ?
    Because anything other than "airgun moderator" is a lie, & while legal to post in the UK they are not legal in international post.

Until I see something to the contrary in writing, I assume an airgun mod is covered by the same laws as sub 12 airguns, which still come under UK firearms law.
    Well, as I said it's a local issue, not UK; so really for the recipient to comply with their laws. Frankly, they are just a tube for air to expand in, in a controlled way, so call it an air expansion chamber.

Pleased to be corrected but are there any UK airgun moderator laws written? Did anyone think writing anything up? FAC different story, but FAC only becomes so when fitted to a FAC rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Well, as I said it's a local issue, not UK;
    NO it is a UK issue if you are exporting it, because any parcel sent overseas requires a customs export declaration by the sender

So answer the question.

I did, call it what it is: a gas expansion chamber.

Here is a 300 page document with a list of the export controls (isn't Google great).

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-authorisation

Moderators are controlled as sound suppressors for firearms of type ML1a, but airguns firing inert projectiles are specifically excluded from ML1a. So are rimfire guns. So my reading of this (I am not an expert but I do work under government rules for my job) is exporting an airgun or rimfire sound suppressors is fine from the UK end.

BB