Thread: Prewar BSA rifles I believe are a collecting disease

Prewar BSA rifles I believe are a collecting disease

No cure found at least in the US. Maybe the affliction is more deadly when they just aren’t as common over here.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    No cure found at least in the US. Maybe the affliction is more deadly when they just aren’t as common over here.
    Well I'm the last person to disagree that they're addictive, Steve. I've probably owned 25 over the years and still have around 10!

The bizarre thing is 15 years ago I thought they were too ugly to collect, like all buttstock air rifles! Then I fired one and was instantly hooked.

So I'm not sure the affliction has anything to do with shortage of supply. It just means it's harder for you to find them. The consolation is that US examples tend to be in excellent condition.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

And you've only just realised this Steve?

I think the rest of us worked out your affliction a while ago!

Funnily enough I used to think the same as Danny; that the BSAs were ugly but Josie would argue they reminded her of antique muskets, so they grew on me until they became a passion. It probably didn't help that the examples I saw and handled some 30 or more years ago were all in pretty poor condition.

I have found a few better ones since then.

Enjoy them Steve.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

I agree with Josie M. The clean, simple lines of the early BSAs have always reminded me of the gun in Gainsborough's painting of Mr & Mrs Andrews, though not enough to put a tricorn hat on when I'm shooting one of my small (but growing) collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Mzee View Post
    I agree with Josie M. The clean, simple lines of the early BSAs have always reminded me of the gun in Gainsborough's painting of Mr & Mrs Andrews, though not enough to put a tricorn hat on when I'm shooting one of my small (but growing) collection.
    I think the rifle does connect to my early love of Kentucky rifles over here. Similar lines and sense holding a piece of history.

The Gainsbrough:

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Yes there is no cure for it. and l wouldn't take it if there was.

For me they’re like Gardner engines or Velocettes - the quality just shines through the years. I’ll freely admit to a weakness for Webley Mk IIs but they were all built up to a quality, not down to a price.

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .