Thread: 1908 BSA What model ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Baz,

Your Rifle is a BSA Air Rifle (Improved Model D ) in the ordinary Pattern (43.25") .177 model. The side fences to help align the cocking lever are correct for the period, having been introduced into production around serial No.17,000. I have a near identical rifle. Mine is serial number 25745, and was retailed by J E Beale, of Bournemouth, as it has a clear retailers stamp mark on the stock. Mine has the keyhole shaped breech fixing plate marked P-Pat, which was BSA using up old stock of the plates.

Nice bit of history you have there.

Lakey

Good evening guys.
    I am new to the forum and thought that I would share these pics of my recently acquired 1908 Model D. It needs a strip and reseal, I have not stripped an air rifle before and did find a good site (Vintage Air Gun Gallery?) which provided a lot of great detail. There is not much detail left on it, the chequering is barely visible, you can make out Trade Mark" and a partial piled rifles logo. Similarly the only stamping/number that I can see is 24305. So close to your numbers. I do need to find front and rear sights for it. I have been advised that BSA Major sights can be made to fit. I don't know how true this is.

[IMG]20230207_222351

20230207_222429

Quote Originally Posted by Triple Jack View Post
    Good evening guys.
    I am new to the forum and thought that I would share these pics of my recently acquired 1908 Model D. It needs a strip and reseal, I have not stripped an air rifle before and did find a good site (Vintage Air Gun Gallery?) which provided a lot of great detail. There is not much detail left on it, the chequering is barely visible, you can make out Trade Mark" and a partial piled rifles logo. Similarly the only stamping/number that I can see is 24305. So close to your numbers. I do need to find front and rear sights for it. I have been advised that BSA Major sights can be made to fit. I don't know how true this is.

[IMG]20230207_222351

20230207_222429
    The rear sights are available here

https://www.airgunspares.com/lj05ljr...ndpattern.html

Waiting for front sights to be remade

Thanks for the link Gunshop it is appreciated. I am guessing that it is your website! I guess that I shouldn't have been surprised at the price. Please forgive me as I am new to the world of old air rifles. Looking on I can see that these things command good prices. The thing that makes me a bit hesitant is I didn't pay that much more for the rifle! Is it the only one in stock? How long before the front sights are available? I will ponder and search a bit more before committing myself. Thanks once again.

Cheers Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Triple Jack View Post
    Thanks for the link Gunshop it is appreciated. I am guessing that it is your website! I guess that I shouldn't have been surprised at the price. Please forgive me as I am new to the world of old air rifles. Looking on I can see that these things command good prices. The thing that makes me a bit hesitant is I didn't pay that much more for the rifle! Is it the only one in stock? How long before the front sights are available? I will ponder and search a bit more before committing myself. Thanks once again.

Cheers Jack
    Hi Jack,

Its the company I work for. The sights are manufactured to original specifications by us and we try to keep them in stock. The front sights are currently being remade.

I did manage to pick up a rear sight today but will still need a front one. I might try and manufacture something myself as an interim measure until you have some in stock. You do have a BSA Stutzen barrel clamp that i will be ordering shortly.

Cheers Jack