Thread: Long & soft / short & stiff

Thumbs up Long & soft / short & stiff

Yet another utterly superb article in Airgun World this month by Jim Tyler comparing the relative merits of the long & soft / short & stiff springs. With lots of technical input, real world testing and some fine references to the late, brilliant and fine David Robson (TopDog on the BBS). Especially reminding us of David's "shooter feel good factor" and its importance in the equation.

An absolute must read for anyone even vaguely interested in the workings of the springer.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Cheers Tony
    If I can find a copy on a shelf somewhere, I'll buy it.

I really miss my chats with David.
    It's no coincidence that since his passing, my interest in springer tuning has waned. Sort of lost my mojo.
    B.A.S.C. member

Spring

Yep David did know his Stuff and is surely missed. Mach 1.5

He will be very much missed. An absolutely lovely gentleman.

Rob, mine dropped through the letterbox on Friday. The issue before had the prequel to this. So, if you're quick you might get that one and then follow it up with the newly arrived issue.. Essential reading.....
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Anyone else read these yet?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yet another utterly superb article in Airgun World this month by Jim Tyler comparing the relative merits of the long & soft / short & stiff springs. With lots of technical input, real world testing and some fine references to the late, brilliant and fine David Robson (TopDog on the BBS). Especially reminding us of David's "shooter feel good factor" and its importance in the equation.

An absolute must read for anyone even vaguely interested in the workings of the springer.
    Hi Tony

What the date/month of this mag ? It's rare now days to see them on the shelf where I live but I'll keep a lookout.

ATB

John
    Hw77+7

Sir will require the February and March issues.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Anyone else read these yet?
    With todays exchange rate, I dont have a subscription any more, plus the magazine is not sold over here
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    With todays exchange rate, I dont have a subscription any more, plus the magazine is not sold over here
    That's a shame, evert. I know some people go for the electronic version. Might that work better for you (although I guess the exchange rate issue would still apply)?

It really is about time that we finally saw that book from JT. Even if it contained no further fresh material, and was a compilation of, say, about the last twelve or thirteen years' articles, it would be a fantastic, handy resource.

Always look forward to Jims technical airgun articles.
    At the moment both welsh willy and tbt have new springs that sound longer and softer springs.
    The newish titan 10+ spring seems to have attracted attention too.