Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope shimming/height adjustment.......

Scope shimming/height adjustment.......

OK....... Hawke Compact 4-16x44 fitted on my now tamed HW95k, first day out to zero it and continue pellet testing only to find I've run out of vertical adjustment by quite a large amount!

With elevation turret adjusted to its limit point of impact is about 2" below point of aim at 25yds - shimming rear has been suggested, but its not something I've ever had to do before, and honestly a bit wary about how it could effect tube of scope with a mismatch between front and rear, wouldn't take much to mark or twist tube

Sportsmatch mounts seem to be out of stock everywhere, and only other I can find are the FX no limits mounts

Any clever solutions?
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Get a strip of tin foil, as wide as you scope mount.
    Make a fold at 3mm, then at 5mm, then 8mm and keep going.
    You should have multiple thickness at the bottom and only one thickness at the side.

Hope this is clear. It is to me but I wrote it.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

You could always get a 10/20moa rail that would give you the adjustment you need

Never had an issue shimming mounts. Just don't go mad overtightening the top straps

Try swapping the mounts around and see if they were just made with one taller than the other.

Never had an issue shimming. People will say it can damage tube etc. but in reality, unless you are an animal it works very effectively. I use photograph negatives cut to size of mount.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Thanks All - I'll be brave and try shimming before I commit to spending money on mounts
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Likely barrel droop or a bent barrel. Are you using quality mounts. Shimming is a botch at best. Get a known straight edge and sit it on top of breech block extending over the barrel, then measure the gap at the breech and muzzle to check barrel. Could also be an oversize breech seal.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

I recently bought a HW breech seal off the bay for my 35.it caused an inconsistent lock up with wildly varying points of impact. An oem seal cured the problem. I think the dodgy seal was made from a harder compound and didn't deform properly when the barrel was closed
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

I am not familiar with the HW95 but I have an HW35E that had a bad case of barrel droop or bend. I suspect that ham fisted owners can cause this by heavy handed cocking. If it is anything like new... back to the shop.. 'Now tamed' implies less new and if this is the problem then it is an easy fix if you have the tackle and are that way inclined, I would suggest starting by checking the barrel alignment along the action. May not be inline but should be parallel I think.
    On my HW35E I removed the barrel and rear sight then inverted the assembly onto a large lathe bed (a straight edge), clamped the breech block down and measured the amount that my barrel climbed over its length. 4mm. Adjusted it using a press, alloy sheets and vee blocks. All done at the breech end, it took almost no force to adjust which is why I suggest heavy handed cocking might be the cause. Sticking a barrel in a vice and yanking on it, I would avoid. With imagination you could use a 6" vice as a nice, controllable press, but not as nice or controllable as a garage press.
    Shimming a 'scope, although easy sounds worse that sorting a bent barrel to me.

It most certainly could be barrel droop, a bent barrel, the breech seal or poorer quality mounts. I'd check all of those first. I hadn't ever come across barrel droop first hand until last year on a friend's 99 at a Bash. Some swimming material from Neil54 and sorted. As said up above, though, easy as you go........
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hawke 2 piece tactical medium rings

I used Hawke tactical medium rings to mount the same scope on my HW95L with excellent results.

https://us.hawkeoptics.com/tactical-...mm-medium.html

I have shimmed successfully before, using plastic (film negative) and latterly the accordioned aluminium foil method. Although I prefer the later from a geometric point of view.

Yes, it would be nice to fix a drooping barrel, but as an alternative, shimming should be non-damaging, reversible and easy to implement.

Have you checked to ensure there is a gap between the objective bell and the compression tube?

A number of years back I bought a set of the adjustable Hawke mounts, by the time they arrived I was happy with the shimming so didn’t use them.
    Last edited by zephyr; 06-02-2023 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    I recently bought a HW breech seal off the bay for my 35.it caused an inconsistent lock up with wildly varying points of impact. An oem seal cured the problem. I think the dodgy seal was made from a harder compound and didn't deform properly when the barrel was closed
    Aftermarket seals are often made oversize, so you can fit them and fix sealing problems in off spec guns.
    Too many airguns!

Get these if you are weary about a DIY solution

https://uk.hawkeoptics.com/mount-inserts-30mm.html

I use them on my Bora