Thread: Sleeving a steel barrel with heat shrink tubing??

Sleeving a steel barrel with heat shrink tubing??

Opinions please on me sleeving the barrel on my rifle with heat shrink tubing, providing the bartrel is clean , dry and very lightly oiled?? Its to give it a bit more weather protection??

Hmm...possibly, but I'd be worried (despite the oil) of water/condensation wicking it's way under by capillary action. I may be wrong, but suggest if you do remove it on a regular basis to check underneath. I personally wouldn't, but I like shiny things.

If it’s for weather protection I suspect any type of sleeve will potentially do more harm than good. As already mentioned if it traps water in it’s not really helping.

Cheers
    Greg
    Last edited by Thegreg; 08-02-2023 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Typo!

Shrink wrap and blueing don't go together well as it keeps in moisture.
    I added some to the underlever of one of my TX's but it had been cerakoted beforehand.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by HW777 View Post
    Weihrauch sleeve the 98 barrel and Hw55's feature a barrel sleeve.

Slid over mods cover a portion of the barrel and to date I've not found any signs of rust underneath when removed.

Although it's probably best not to get caught out in the rain without some way of removing a sleeve.
    Yes but the don’t fit them for weather protection do they. A barrel shroud is totally different to heat shrink tubing, or any type of additional sleeve closely fitted over the barrel. The question was will it provide more weather protection.

Cheers
    Greg

I have a rapid 7 that I got many years ago from 'buddy boy' it has a plastic sleeve over the barrel, I think it is a heat shrink one but it's not been shrunk down, once the silencer has been removed the sleeve just pulls off so the barrel could be checked and dried.
    rapid 7 mk2 .22/btas 30ftlbs fac./fx verminator 177
    rapid 17 mk1 regged(by ben taylor)in mk2 stock
    savage hmr and dm80 mod/ crickett .22

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter22UK View Post
    Opinions please on me sleeving the barrel on my rifle with heat shrink tubing, providing the bartrel is clean , dry and very lightly oiled?? Its to give it a bit more weather protection??
    Try car heater hose

I cant really see it being an issue.
    As long as you start at one end, say the breach and work your way forward smoothly, there by expelling all the air as you go. Should be no moisture under there in theory.
    VAYA CON DIOS

i've used the grip shrink tube a few times on barrels that weren't in great condition to start with and just gave them a good dose of an anti rust oil i have and fitted it
    i did check one a year later and found no change to the barrel so just applied a new bit of heat shrink
    on a relly nicely blued barrel ior something high end in good condition 'd probably give heat shrink a miss though

My father's Rapid barrel was shrink wrapped to stop glare from lamps and had an alloy finisher (moisture trap) by the block.
    Was on for about 13 years...pitting all the way to the transfer port.

Last edited by Squintykid; 10-02-2023 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter22UK View Post
    Very, very bad idea imo, I use heat shrink for grips on some of my Beach Casters & without fail if/when removed the surface underneath is pretty manky,
    not an issue with varnished carbon fibre, but it would be on a barrel.

Several manufactures do neoprene rubber barrel covers, that slide on/off, I'd stick with one of those, I use a jack-pike camo one on my Rapid 24" barrel.
    https://ibb.co/PYpKY80