Thread: Hw 35 spring update

Hw 35 spring update

In my previous post about the HW 35 spring I was inquiring if a brand new rifle would have a chopped spring or not. Well I received my new 35 last week and can report that the spring is nicely squared and flat at both ends. The spring guide is now white delrin with a steel washer slipped over to contact the spring, no top hat, and a steel piston sleeve. I have placed a second delrin slip washer between the steel washer and the spring to allow the spring to relax and maybe twist a little.after a few hundred shots it has settled down nicely and has a variation of only 10 fps in a 10 shot string, before fitting the slip washer the variation was 25 fps or there abouts. Using FTT pellets it is running at 11.8 fbs, I will say that the rifle is accurate but very hold sensitive more so with the extra slip washer, but I can live with that because it’s more consistent. Accuracy wise, half inch groups or better at 31 yards are regular the only problem is my heart beat keeps messing up my groups.

Sounding very reassuring and promising, then.

I think it was Nick, from TbT Headquarters, who had mentioned in the past that HW were employing a "one size fits all" strategy, using the springs from the 26mm bore rifles in the 30mm versions? Hence the employment of the piston sleeve - a good move. As in a good move re spring fit in the piston with that smaller OD spring. I wonder, however, if the HW80 intended for higher power markets might still employ a beefier spring?

Thank you for your description of the internals. Personally, and if possible, I would be wanting to add a top hat to this prescription, for extra stability and to give an extra bearing surface for the front of the spring. This will, obviously, add preload, so will necessitate a little reduction in the spring length. At 11.8, in my eyes, it's already hovering dangerously close to the limit. Who knows, with other pellet types, it might go over as it is? So I'd go top hat and shorten that spring. Target output at 11.4 max with the rifle's most efficient pellet. This extra refinement should contribute even more to a pleasing experience, slightly easier cocking and, fingers crossed, might, just might, help out a little with the hold sensitivity?

.177 or .22?

Would you fancy bringing it along to a Boinger Bash?
    Last edited by TonyL; 06-03-2023 at 07:08 AM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!