Thread: Webley Viscount questions.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Webley Viscount questions.

Hi all,

Just a few questions please regarding the Webley Viscount, found one today in excellent nick, unfortunately I'm not overly clued up on Webleys but have read they shared a few parts between models, now if I'm honest I really wanted a Tracker but they don't come up very often, the questions I'm asking are, can a Stingray/Xocet tuning kit be fitted (as I have a kit here) as I'm sure they are not much different inside from model to model, how does the barrel fit into the cylinder (Yes you've guessed it I'm thinking of shortening the barrel) and does it have a choke and lastly what is needed to fit the 2 stage trigger to it?

I have a Webley Xocet XS two stage trigger here that I tried fitting today, it physically fits and the gun can be cocked but it wouldn't release the sears unless the trigger was almost pulled so far back you felt it was going to snap the trigger, I realise the stock inletting will need opening out a bit to fit it in the stock, I even fitted the Xocet trigger spring that drops into the cylinder as it was slightly shorter and doesn't feel as strong as the Viscounts, it still wouldn't let go easily, does the Xocet sear need fitting? (I've not compared them to see if they are the same).

All in all a lovely rifle and fitted in the Walnut Tracker stock I aquired the other week, it just raises it up that level, now here comes the moral question, do I shorten the barrel and make the Tracker I really want or do I keep it as is and keep the purests happy?

The Webley part of my collection is now complete.

Your advice please gents.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hi all,

Just a few questions please regarding the Webley Viscount, found one today in excellent nick, unfortunately I'm not overly clued up on Webleys but have read they shared a few parts between models, now if I'm honest I really wanted a Tracker but they don't come up very often, the questions I'm asking are, can a Stingray/Xocet tuning kit be fitted (as I have a kit here) as I'm sure they are not much different inside from model to model, how does the barrel fit into the cylinder (Yes you've guessed it I'm thinking of shortening the barrel) and does it have a choke and lastly what is needed to fit the 2 stage trigger to it?

I have a Webley Xocet XS two stage trigger here that I tried fitting today, it physically fits and the gun can be cocked but it wouldn't release the sears unless the trigger was almost pulled so far back you felt it was going to snap the trigger, I realise the stock inletting will need opening out a bit to fit it in the stock, I even fitted the Xocet trigger spring that drops into the cylinder as it was slightly shorter and doesn't feel as strong as the Viscounts, it still wouldn't let go easily, does the Xocet sear need fitting? (I've not compared them to see if they are the same).

All in all a lovely rifle and fitted in the Walnut Tracker stock I aquired the other week, it just raises it up that level, now here comes the moral question, do I shorten the barrel and make the Tracker I really want or do I keep it as is and keep the purests happy?

I wondered how long from when you left me with the gun it would be unitil you had a look at it

Glad you are enjoying your new purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by gunshop View Post
    I wondered how long from when you left me with the gun it would be unitil you had a look at it

Glad you are enjoying your new purchase.
    Thanks Paul, you know what I'm like, can't leave things alone, I'm forever tinkering and trying to improve things, looks even better in the Walnut stock I have, just need to sort the twang out, which hopefully the spare Stingray kit I have will do.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

You mentioned the Tracker doesn’t come up that often, well compared to the Viscount it does. On a normal day I’d guess Trackers to Viscounts would be 20:1. It’d be a shame to chop the barrel on it.

They are absolutely identical to a Tracker, other than the barrel and stamping on the cylinder.

A Stingray/Xocet guide/top hat will be similar and may possibly be made to fit. There’s a fair chance it’ll drop straight in, as the later Trackers were fitted with the same Webley spring guides that were used on the Xocet/Stingray.

The barrel is screwed into the action and held with Loctite, heat will release it.

The 2 stage trigger from the Xocet will drop straight in and should work perfectly, I’ve done several. Like you say the only mod is a bit of stock inletting. Not sure why yours is difficult to release.

Cheers
    Greg

Hi all,

Definitely, get out the hacksaw and reduce it's value by 2/3rds
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

I recall seeing at least two Trackers at the last Kempton fair in December; one with the scarce camo stock and the other had a beech one. I've also seen black stocks and deluxe walnut at previous fairs, so the Tracker is certainly relatively easy to find compared to the Viscount. In fact I don't recall seeing any Viscounts at the show in the 5 years it's been going but then again that could be my memory.

The next fair at Kempton is on Sunday 2 April.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

There was a camo stocked tracker in my local gunshop the other week. As said viscounts must be the rarest out of the two.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

I had a tracker once (for two days ) I am on my 4th Osprey though and am keeping this one cos its in 177 and quite accurate ! the tracker was the least accurate gun I ever shot

I'm sure you will find someone very keen to swap a Tracker for a Viscount, as others have said, Trackers are very common compared to Viscounts. Damn shame to shorten the barrel.

I doubt that many Xocet parts will fit well - the Viscount cylinder is 25mm whereas the Xocet is larger, either 27 or 28mm (I suspect the latter). A biro pen spring is a common replacement for the trigger spring.

Nice gun the viscount, I’d never seen one in the flesh till Dave brought one a bash or two ago , shot nicely even if I didn’t. Sounds like you got a rarer beast that you can easily move on if a tracker appears, in my experience several appear as soon as I’ve tracked down an elusive one.

....... can a Stingray/Xocet tuning kit be fitted (as I have a kit here) as I'm sure they are not much different inside from model to model......

Yes, the Xocet kit should fit. I'm using the same setup in my Vulcans and Trackers.

And NOOO!!! YOU DONT CUT DOWN A VISCOUNT!!!
    You sell it on to someone who appreciates it, and then buy a Tracker, as they are much easier to find.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Yes, the Xocet kit should fit. I'm using the same setup in my Vulcans and Trackers.

And NOOO!!! YOU DONT CUT DOWN A VISCOUNT!!!
    You sell it on to someone who appreciates it, and then buy a Tracker, as they are much easier to find.
    Don't worry I'm not going to do any chopping, I'll probably end up with a Tracker as well at one point.