Thread: Original Model 50 Mainspring TbT Spring - Vortek leather seal conversion kit?

Original Model 50 Mainspring TbT Spring - Vortek leather seal conversion kit?

I'm looking for the details of the original mainspring fitted to the model 50. The one fitted needs replacing and I'm unsure if it has been replaced previously. Looking on the net doesn't seem to yield any results for an OEM spring. That said I need to measure up to see if one of the new TbT offering will go in. I'm also in a dilemma about replacing the worn leather piston seal for a Vortek leather seal conversion kit, has anyone tried one?

Matt

A long time since I did my .22 Model 50 but I fitted what I think was Chambers recommended spring and it turned out rather harsh. Needed shortening a turn I think.
    Leather cup washers/seals, if dry can come back to life if soaked in thin oil (no chance of dieseling a model 50). As they are a sort of parachute seal, they self adjust if flexible enough so wear is less of an issue than with some seals. Nothing wrong with leather cup washers if in good enough condition. Home made ones are viable if needed I think.
    If you have not got that far, the trigger balls are fun to assemble but easy if you blob them in using grease. I made a spring compressor for re-assembling my gun, m12 stud bar with a small metal end and a wood chassis. Re-assembly without seemed risky.
    If you are happy with about 6 1/2 ft/lb then they can shoot really nicely. I got mine to 8 and thought it too harsh so I shortened the spring.

Check out the Mainspring Data Thread in the Useful Section up above.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

From my copy of the database mentioned: od, id, wire mm, length, coils and reference.
    DIANA / ORIGINAL 50 21 15 3 270 Ox
    DIANA / ORIGINAL 50 20.75 14.65 3 235 31 Cobham
    DIANA / ORIGINAL 50 21 14.6 3.2 290 Versandhaus

As you see there is quite a bit of variation according to where you get information from. Somewhere at the back of my mind I seem to have the idea that I once used an Airsporter spring to good effect ... but age maybe playing tricks on me.

Cheers, Phil

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Measure the ID of the piston and drop me a line

Original Model 50 Mainspring TbT Spring - Vortek leather seal conversion kit?

A HW 97 spring fits nicely with a good fitting guide it worked well in mine.