Thread: Bullet lube mix

Bullet lube mix

Anyone got a good recipe for a pan lube ?,
    I have a few ingredients, but it the amounts I need to know.
    It's for some 45-70 bullets, 350gr and 500gr,s.
    Thank you
    CZ455 American .22LR, Marlin 1894 .357 and 1935 8mm Mauser K98k S42/G (RC), Remy .308 AICS, RPR 6.5 creedmoor, no4 1* LB 1943, NRA RCO

The indian mutiny kicked off when the muslim troops found out the bullet lube was pork fat, so the powers that be told them it was beef dripping. That annoyed the Hindus and the whole thing kicked off.

I make my bullet lube with a mixture of lard, dripping, trex, beeswax with a wee drop of lanolin. I think that should do to annoy everyone!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    The indian mutiny kicked off when the muslim troops found out the bullet lube was pork fat, so the powers that be told them it was beef dripping. That annoyed the Hindus and the whole thing kicked off.

I make my bullet lube with a mixture of lard, dripping, trex, beeswax with a wee drop of lanolin. I think that should do to annoy everyone!
    Thank you
    CZ455 American .22LR, Marlin 1894 .357 and 1935 8mm Mauser K98k S42/G (RC), Remy .308 AICS, RPR 6.5 creedmoor, no4 1* LB 1943, NRA RCO

I use a mix of beeswax and vaseline, approximately 50/50 by volume.

I use beeswax and Tallow, 50/50, have done for years and had no major issues. I buy shredded white beeswax from a local(Ish) craft shop as it mixes easier and a kilo of Tallow from . Warm it up in a pan over hot water and mix it with an old spoon, pour out into a round old pie dish with, in my case 40/350 heads up to the level you need and hey presto! Lubed heads. It will take you a while to work out how much you need but any left over can be used again.
    Word of advice, don't heat directly over a flame/ring/whatever as it is pretty flammable.

I forget the proper cookery term for heating over a saucepan of water but I'm sure someone on here will know!

It'd be bain-marie in Chefish, but I think it's colloquially known as a double boiler.

I use beeswax and sheeps tallow, makes it a bit more heat resistant for summer days.

Bullet lube mix

Melted beeswax with a little paraffin added to the users requirements regarding softness. Keeps things simple and works well.

Quote Originally Posted by BaskervilleDog View Post
    I use beeswax and Tallow, 50/50, have done for years and had no major issues. I buy shredded white beeswax from a local(Ish) craft shop as it mixes easier and a kilo of Tallow from . Warm it up in a pan over hot water and mix it with an old spoon, pour out into a round old pie dish with, in my case 40/350 heads up to the level you need and hey presto! Lubed heads. It will take you a while to work out how much you need but any left over can be used again.
    Word of advice, don't heat directly over a flame/ring/whatever as it is pretty flammable.

I forget the proper cookery term for heating over a saucepan of water but I'm sure someone on here will know!
    Just realised I am missing the term , as in "and a kilo of Tallow from...."

As for a pie dish I use the single man's standby, a Fray Bentos Steak Pie! I must have dozens of them!

Quote Originally Posted by BaskervilleDog View Post
    Just realised I am missing the term , as in "and a kilo of Tallow from...."

As for a pie dish I use the single man's standby, a Fray Bentos Steak Pie! I must have dozens of them!
    The dreaded evil-bay must be a banned word then?