Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Bullet lube mix

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wisbech, Cambs
    Posts
    1,572

    Bullet lube mix

    Anyone got a good recipe for a pan lube ?,
    I have a few ingredients, but it the amounts I need to know.
    It's for some 45-70 bullets, 350gr and 500gr,s.
    Thank you
    CZ455 American .22LR, Marlin 1894 .357 and 1935 8mm Mauser K98k S42/G (RC), Remy .308 AICS, RPR 6.5 creedmoor, no4 1* LB 1943, NRA RCO

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Valleys of South Wales
    Posts
    2,147
    The indian mutiny kicked off when the muslim troops found out the bullet lube was pork fat, so the powers that be told them it was beef dripping. That annoyed the Hindus and the whole thing kicked off.

    I make my bullet lube with a mixture of lard, dripping, trex, beeswax with a wee drop of lanolin. I think that should do to annoy everyone!
    [I]DesG
    Always try to learn from other people's mistakes- You haven't time to make them all yourself!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wisbech, Cambs
    Posts
    1,572
    Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    The indian mutiny kicked off when the muslim troops found out the bullet lube was pork fat, so the powers that be told them it was beef dripping. That annoyed the Hindus and the whole thing kicked off.

    I make my bullet lube with a mixture of lard, dripping, trex, beeswax with a wee drop of lanolin. I think that should do to annoy everyone!
    Thank you
    CZ455 American .22LR, Marlin 1894 .357 and 1935 8mm Mauser K98k S42/G (RC), Remy .308 AICS, RPR 6.5 creedmoor, no4 1* LB 1943, NRA RCO

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    nottingham
    Posts
    502
    I use a mix of beeswax and vaseline, approximately 50/50 by volume.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    43
    I use beeswax and Tallow, 50/50, have done for years and had no major issues. I buy shredded white beeswax from a local(Ish) craft shop as it mixes easier and a kilo of Tallow from . Warm it up in a pan over hot water and mix it with an old spoon, pour out into a round old pie dish with, in my case 40/350 heads up to the level you need and hey presto! Lubed heads. It will take you a while to work out how much you need but any left over can be used again.
    Word of advice, don't heat directly over a flame/ring/whatever as it is pretty flammable.

    I forget the proper cookery term for heating over a saucepan of water but I'm sure someone on here will know!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Location
    Vxj,Sweden
    Posts
    87
    It'd be bain-marie in Chefish, but I think it's colloquially known as a double boiler.

    I use beeswax and sheeps tallow, makes it a bit more heat resistant for summer days.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Rye
    Posts
    5

    Bullet lube mix

    Melted beeswax with a little paraffin added to the users requirements regarding softness. Keeps things simple and works well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by BaskervilleDog View Post
    I use beeswax and Tallow, 50/50, have done for years and had no major issues. I buy shredded white beeswax from a local(Ish) craft shop as it mixes easier and a kilo of Tallow from . Warm it up in a pan over hot water and mix it with an old spoon, pour out into a round old pie dish with, in my case 40/350 heads up to the level you need and hey presto! Lubed heads. It will take you a while to work out how much you need but any left over can be used again.
    Word of advice, don't heat directly over a flame/ring/whatever as it is pretty flammable.

    I forget the proper cookery term for heating over a saucepan of water but I'm sure someone on here will know!
    Just realised I am missing the term , as in "and a kilo of Tallow from...."

    As for a pie dish I use the single man's standby, a Fray Bentos Steak Pie! I must have dozens of them!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by BaskervilleDog View Post
    Just realised I am missing the term , as in "and a kilo of Tallow from...."

    As for a pie dish I use the single man's standby, a Fray Bentos Steak Pie! I must have dozens of them!
    The dreaded evil-bay must be a banned word then?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •