Thread: Sharp Ace or Sharp Victory?

Sharp Ace or Sharp Victory?

I like my Sharp Victory, a lot. It shoots accurate, is a nice size, balance and the trigger behaves well.

A friend has an Ace and he is considering perhaps quitting it.
    I have seen images although I do not have the opportunity to trial it as he is on the mainland, too far away.
    This one is missing the sights but appears to be in otherwise good condition.

Asking those who have one, is the Ace a step up or sideways? What are the pros and cons of the Ace? Ballpark value?
    Thanks all.

Hi,
    I love both my Victory and Ace's, but I would say that the Ace is the best of the two.
    Mostly because the pumping effort to power ratio is better with the Ace.
    Relatively easy pumping for lots of power.
    The trigger of the Ace sometimes gets negative comments, but mine are adjusted to be nice and crisp.
    I prefer the wider tiggerblade of the Ace, although the pull does get heavier with the number of pumps, whereas this isn't the case with the Victory.
    The Victory is smaller and lighter, which has its benefits.
    With the Ace, you don't have to cock the gun first (with the Victory you first have to press the putton at the rear to set the valve, as you know).
    I would say that accuracy is the same; both are extremely accurate guns. Like with Innova's, I find it easier to shoot tight groups with Sharp airguns than with any other brand.
    The opens of the Ace are better than those of the Victory, unless you have the rare Victory variant with the peepsight at the rear, instead of the v-notch blade at the front of the breech.
    The Victory has a weaker pumping link, and the trigger guard often cracks when the screws are over tightened. This is not the case with the Ace.
    If I were you, I would keep your Victory and buy the Ace, if possible.
    Value wise, a nice original Ace in good working order with original open sights and front sight hood should fetch 350 pounds.
    Often they have been tinkered with, which reduces the value.

Here is a photo for you to compare.

Hope this helps.
    Louis

what Louiis said really
    if i could only have one i'd choose the ace

Thanks Louis and Ped.
    Louis you have posted an image or two of my Victory so you may recall mine has the peep sight and the foresight that accepts inserts. Well I assume that there were once more than the one insert my example has.
    Are you aware of any available inserts or those that would suit?
    In all respects the Victory fulfills my needs and I agree with you that the cocking has something wanting. The leverage is not quite on but 4 pumps works ok for me|

Derek mentioned that the Ace locking plate was distorted/ worn and the stock was a bit battered along with some surface rust and the missing sights.

Hi slow_runner, I forgot it was you, the owner of a beautiful Victory in New Zealand.
    I hope that everything is well with you.
    Back on topic: perhaps you could try Weihrauch front sight inserts for your Victory?
    Otherwise it is probably doable to make them using a plastic disc?

With the Ace, you will see how easy pumping can be.
    But I agree, the Victory is a very good gun too.

Locking plate and missing sights:
    front and rear sights? I believe that Protek Supplies in the UK has an original Ace rear sight for sale.
    Front sight will be a bit harder to find.

Locking plate: I might have a spare one for you, if you want. Just send me a message if you decide to buy the Ace, and need parts.

Cheers, Louis

Thanks Louis, I was fortunate to come upon that Sharp with such a nice grade stock.
    I appreciate the kind offer and direction. If the Ace happens I will be sure to make contact with you.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 07-02-2023 at 10:44 PM.

My Ace arrived on Monday

Over all I am happy with the Ace.
    The first thing I did was separate the action from the stock and give the metalwork a rudimentary rub over with beeswax; that shifted a bit of oxide.
    On more careful inspection, I discovered a crack in the fore-end of the stock, just ahead of the rear securing bolt. The locking plate spacer washer is some jerry fashioned substitute. There are a few dings in the wood.
    Is there supposed to be a detente for the locking plate?

The barrel has some detectable movement, especially with the (oversized) scope attached. Is this usual and simply insecure fastenings??
    Comment on http://gun-sport.blogspot.com
    AnonymousJanuary 4, 2019 at 11:35 PM
    They were sold in the USA long ago I had one, Japan made Innova Sharp Ace Hunter but they were poorly made as the barrel would separate from the pump tube often and the tiny screws would not hold! I wish I would have kept it so I could use the trigger assembly and build my own air rifle using the same basic design. Mine was super accurate!
    Last edited by slow_runner; 22-06-2023 at 07:26 AM.

I assume that 'AnonymousJanuary 4, 2019' is a person who doesn't practice maintenance on his tools and machinery.

I found that all the four machine screws were loose by about half a thread; easily sorted. The two inner fastenings don't match up the with the other two so I assume that they could be substitutes.
    To those that know, should they all match?

I have pulled the scope and will replace with something more period and less overwhelming

Some images of the Ace.

20mm 8 ply chronograph

Last edited by slow_runner; 22-06-2023 at 08:34 PM.