Thread: Valuation wanted for two new Phosphor Bronze Piston Rings and Webley Senior Piston.

Valuation wanted for two new Phosphor Bronze Piston Rings and Webley Senior Piston.

I'd appreciate other's opinions as to whether or not its worth listing the following items for sale and at what price, as I'm never likely to use them myself in the foreseeable future.

Firstly are two identical new and unused Phosphor Bronze Piston Rings which (from a hazy "Old Timers" memory) were brought new by me maybe over 40 years ago (honestly I just can't remember when (or any other details about them so I might be miles out in my statement of such)). TBMK they are "Webley" but don't know what gun they are for as I believe that at least two Webley Models use them but I don't have any idea of sizing or know how to identify them as belonging to one gun or the other.

Secondly is a Webley Senior Piston (no Piston Ring fitted) that came with a boxed Two Barrel Senior that I brought last year. The extra Piston is in part an interesting item to have with the pistol but I could get along without it as it's hidden in a box along with several others well away from view as I slowly go through my "clearing up" process.

I'd appreciate any useful input to my valuation/selling post as at some point in the future I need to have the house cleared up a bit prior to having it redecorated before it falls to bits around my ears.

TIA for any helpful input to my query,

Vic Thompson.

I hate to say this Vic but you would probably learn the value most accurately if you sell it by auction.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hi Vic, as an indication you could use Knibbs? 24 quid for a Webley Service as well as for a Senior piston ring. Makes 50 quid for the pair. A Senior piston would be 35 quid. If you start with asking half (and a bit?) of that price (include diameter measurement btw), you could probably make people happy on this forum.
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

Thanks for the replies to date folks, and the items will be listed for sale shortly on the BBS.

Thanks, Vic Thompson.

Senior piston ring - S4 - is approximately 21.2mm in diameter and 2.3mm cross section.

Thanks for the posting Troubledshooter. They are approx 2.3mm in depth where they fit in to the piston slot, and maybe of 21.5mm uncompressed dia, compressing down to maybe 20.0mm min dia.

Just out of interest do you have any idea of the Piston Ring sizes for the Webley MkI and MkII Air Rifles (if applicable (in part as mentally I've always thought of the MkI as being "a big Air Pistol")).

Vic Thompson.
    Last edited by Vic Thompson; 08-02-2023 at 02:33 PM.

You are correct Vic, I've just checked mine again and only one is 21.2mm uncompressed, so could be a used example, the other two are 21.5mm uncompressed.

I bought a new Service piston ring years ago on fleabay then misplaced it for ages, It recently turned up again..

These are the measurements..

Uncompressed od

Compressed od

uncompressed id

Width

John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I bought a new Service piston ring years ago on fleabay then misplaced it for ages, It recently turned up again..

John..
    Hi John,

It's Senior piston rings we are discussing, not Service, but I daresay those Service piston ring measurements may come in useful in the future, if anybody can be arsed to use the SEARCH facility, which so many seem incapable of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Hi John,

It's Senior piston rings we are discussing, not Service, but I daresay those Service piston ring measurements may come in useful in the future, if anybody can be arsed to use the SEARCH facility, which so many seem incapable of doing.

Whoops!, I could have sworn I read that Vic asked for sizes of a Service piston ring too!, I think my grey matter must be dying off at an alarming rate!!

EDIT, Just read through the posts again, He asked in post No6 for mk1 and mk2 rifles, I have a mk1 but it's in the far end of the gunroom and i've never had it apart!!
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/