Thread: Box Foam cushion replacement help?

Box Foam cushion replacement help?

I have a very nice early Phoenix Hi Score Sporter with accessories in its original case. Hiwevwr the foam padding is badly deteriorated and has become quite sticky and unpleasant.
    Any recommendations on the best material to replace it?
    Advice much appreciated. Steve

Alas, I suffer from the problem.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Check out Jimmie Dee's website here: https://www.jimmiedeesairguns.com/gu...ir-pistol-box/

He recommends the foam, Plastazote LD18, which apparently is a museum-approved acid and ammonia-free foam, and is used commercially in flight bags, camera cases etc.

Probably only helps those in the US but this foam is awesome. Cuts extremely well and holds guns and parts very well. The foam will form around the part and seems to hold as a mold?

https://www.carolinacustomfoam.com/1-5-inch-thick-1/

as above good stuff

Foam

Thanks to you both. Will investigate further. Atb. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Check out Jimmie Dee's website here: https://www.jimmiedeesairguns.com/gu...ir-pistol-box/

He recommends the foam, Plastazote LD18, which apparently is a museum-approved acid and ammonia-free foam, and is used commercially in flight bags, camera cases etc.
    Thanks for that, John, I hadn't previously seen that site.
    I make all my replica boxes from scratch using templates of the original Webley boxes, and laser print the labels as needed.

No right or wrong here but in the flight bag foam it is said not to compress.

“This foam is dense, but not overly so. It holds its shape and doesn’t compress like the foam you find in normal pistol or camera cases.”

I actually like the foam I used above because it compresses just the right amount when the gun or part is firmly pressed in. I find that it molds to the gun and I like that? The silencer really holds in place like it was made for it? That property aids in putting in a part like the barrel wrench.

I used it for this Webley rifle case and it helped me produce a French case look. The compression helped to form the foam to the very irregular shape of the rifle? Adding adhesive cloth was prettty cool.

Last edited by 45flint; 07-02-2023 at 02:02 PM.

The only problem with that type of foam is it's reaction to oil/grease, as shown in the photograph of the Phoenix Hy Score.