Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Umarex M92SS or CP88?

Umarex M92SS or CP88?

Hi,

Been looking at plinking pistols and narrowed it down to the above. I don't want blowback or BB.
    Has anyone good things or bad to say about either?
    Thanks for your thoughts
    The problem with being old is that you can remember when things weren't crap. Sometimes.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Both good, well made pistols. The 92 is a little heavy for me, the CP88 with wood grips is a fine looking gun

Thanks Tinbum.

If I have it right, the M92 weighs 1.2 kg and the CP88 1.07. Not a huge difference and the M92 has the advantage of a slightly longer barrel. The only other pistols I've shot extensively are the Browning 9mm CF semi-auto and the Artemis PP700-SA. Quite a difference and perversely, the Browning is only 1 kg - I did get fed up of the recoil though! The Artemis was ridiculously barrel heavy. Quite accurate out to 20 yds with the right pellets and a rest.

The S&W revolver interested me until I found out that the 6 1/2" barrel version only has 4" of rifled barrel.
    The problem with being old is that you can remember when things weren't crap. Sometimes.

stagmanv835 is offline i tend to drink while on the bbs
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Both good, well made pistols. The 92 is a little heavy for me, the CP88 with wood grips is a fine looking gun
    Same as Tinbum the 92 is just a tad to heavy for a long session

The Cp88 competition (wood grips if you can find them) much better balance and very accurate
    You only have the rights you are willing to fight for

I have both, and mildly prefer the 88, but the 92 is also rather nice.

I have both, but well-made is not a term I would use in conjunction with Umarex pistols. Or reliable. But I say that about most things these days, they are probably no worse than the other stuff out there, and can be improved by de-burring, polishing, and lubing the internals.

If you get a good one they can be quite accurate, but it’s a bit of a lottery. There’s not much difference between the two, I prefer the sight picture on the 92FS, but the CP88 is a little less of a handful for plinking fast and furious.

Whichever you choose, use a flat head pellet (Geco is a favourite) and a seating tool, to avoid the mags jamming. Good luck. Enjoy.

Thanks guys.
    I'm hoping to run whichever I buy on lead free and wadcutters (10m max range). Could be 'interesting' if my experiences of LF in rifles are anything to go by.
    Might look at the Competition variants too.

I've had both and regret selling CP88.
    Zastava Owners Club.

After years of repairing both types I prefer the CP88.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I have a cp88 4 inch with wood grips. But much prefer the 6-inch competition version, it as more power and is slightly more accurate, might have to obtain a 6-inch extension for mine,

Quote Originally Posted by Carrott View Post
    Thanks Tinbum.

If I have it right, the M92 weighs 1.2 kg and the CP88 1.07. Not a huge difference and the M92 has the advantage of a slightly longer barrel. The only other pistols I've shot extensively are the Browning 9mm CF semi-auto and the Artemis PP700-SA. Quite a difference and perversely, the Browning is only 1 kg - I did get fed up of the recoil though! The Artemis was ridiculously barrel heavy. Quite accurate out to 20 yds with the right pellets and a rest.

The S&W revolver interested me until I found out that the 6 1/2" barrel version only has 4" of rifled barrel.
    CP88 Competition in Nickel with the wood grips and comp sights is really nice.

A Umarex 586/686 will have a 6" barrel and the larger 10shot mags.

The newer M29 S&W pistols may have shorted inner barrels.

I've owned both over time but prefer the 92FS. Nice solid weight and great performance down range.

Great looker too!

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

You can't go wrong with either of these. Looks wise the 92FS all day long for me, but if you want better performance go for the CP88 competition model

The 88 is a better replica of the real gun. The 92 looks wrong for a replica because the barrel shroud is far too deeply embedded in the open frame to look right for my liking.
    This ain't rock 'n' roll- this is GENOCIDE!

The Umarex 1911 was also a nice piece in the 'revolvermatic' range