Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice wanted as to the best way to remove "dried on" Adhesive Tape residue

Advice wanted as to the best way to remove "dried on" Adhesive Tape residue

The title says it all really, all there is to add is that it's an old pellet tin that I want to clean up. Basically the Manufacturer's "Sellotape" band around the tins seems to have a tendency to dry up and then go brittle, often falling off altogether. IMO there's usually a hard residue on the Tins that is a struggle to clean off, but I have done it in the past using boiling water (to soften it) and then "scrubbing it off". Can anyone suggest a nice easy "guaranteed to work" method with a proven track record.

Thanks in advance for all useful suggestions,

Vic Thompson

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Isopropyl Alcohol ?
    Master Debater

Wd40.

Another vote for WD40

I've tried WD40 thanks and it's good on soft adhesive, but I couldn't persuade it to clean off dried adhesive to any extent at all. However, it does a good job in that it restores the paintwork really well (tape residue excepted).

Has anyone else tried to do the same as me ?

Vic T

This morning I removed the residue from old number plate stickers that the previous owner put on. My wife's nail polish remover made an easy job of it.

Liquid lighter fuel,panel wipe,naphtha, brake and clutch cleaner, meths, acetone (but not on plastic surfaces),warm water is worth a try if a water based glue was used .
    The most aggresive of these is acetone in that ill will dissolve many things.

use a Q tip (with paper tube handle not plastic & on a small area 1st) ,most will evaporate quite quickly.
    Last edited by JB101; 02-03-2023 at 03:36 PM.

If it's a pellet tin Vic, go easy on the chemicals as they may affect the graphics on the tin. If there is still tape residue try a hairdryer on a high setting to lift it but be careful if the tin has a paper label as that may lift too, albeit it can be stuck back down.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

denatured alcohol works well, leave it covered with a cloth wetted with some for a bit. Alternatively, leave a hot, damp cloth on to soften the residue then wipe off with meths

Kim and Aggie recommend Johnsons baby oil.

Not that I watch shit like that, so don't go starting any rumours.

In no particular order as it depends on the adhesive base as to which might be the most effective.

None are particularly nice so take heed of the MSDS, there is IPA, MEK, Heptane, WD 40, white spirit, methylated spirit, petrol, lighter fluid, paint stripper, proprietary label residue remover, detergents just to name a few.

Some might attack the ink more than others...

I usually start with lighter fuel which is generally safe, next up is IPA (not the beer!) which is usually safe but does affect a few plastics. If these two don't work I try WD40 but it smells awful, last resort is cellulose thinners, works well but attacks a lot of materials.

Fold a piece of kitchen paper into a patch to cover the glue.

Soak this in nail varnish remover and apply to the glue, then put the lot inside a polythene bag to slow evaporation.

An hour or two should see it soft enough to wipe off.

Isopropyl Alcohol and elbow grease has always worked for me !

Thanks for the replies to date, much appreciated. I'll get some IPA and give it a try and see how it goes.

Vic Thompson.