Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: webley senior with box

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    See post #13 for some context.

John
    Oops i forgot the oil bottle.
    Extras aside, and being mint, most collectors ive met have made mention he takes the piss….reputation forming a bit there.
    Mad to think in the early 80s I stupidly gave one away, had one nicked one time and they came and went with a frequency similar to buying footware. Wish i could go back.

Just thought it might be worth a bit more as it comes with the original box. Should have it Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by ALBERT 66 View Post
    Just thought it might be worth a bit more as it comes with the original box. Should have it Monday.
    but with, or without box, it really depends on what you paid for it.
    There was a mint Senior on the web for £395 boxed recently, but as someone pointed out, one with Dyson at 3x that cost.
    If you bought your average example off him you would probably not break even on worth for 30 years…
    The previous one above, might be worth £100 more in a few years, and at this time about worth what the asking price was.
    Its all about paying a fare price, enjoying the gun, then perhaps making a bit if you wish to sell down the line.

Hopefully it'll be the original box - there are some very good repros around, had one with my Premier, the vendor did tell me it was a copy.
    Funny thing was, round the same time, bought a Senior in a battered leatherette wooden box I thought was a homemade effort. But it looks very similar to the ones in the Gordon Bruce book, but missing the Webley, or any, inlay label.

ATB

Bruce
    Last edited by laverdabru; 05-03-2023 at 04:25 AM.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Hopefully it'll be the original box - there are some very good repros around, had one with my Premier, the vendor did tell me it was a copy.
    Funny thing was, round the same time, bought a Senior in a battered leatherette wooden box I thought was a homemade effort. But it looks very similar to the ones in the Gordon Bruce book, but missing the inlay label.

ATB

Bruce
    I hear that Bruce, I had one from Proteks, could barely tell it from the real thing on the front. Real collectors could tell it a copy straight off, but with a bit of grease on it, the layman would not know.

The box still has the price sticker on £9/6

The box still has the price sticker on £9/6
    That's useful, might help you/others to date it. The vintage airgun gallery may have some pictures of old pricelists/catalogues. £7 7 shillings was the price in a 1955 list in the Gordon Bruce book. Assuming its a cardboard one does the box have a drawing or a photo on it? According to the Bruce book, pre WW2 ones had a small drawing on a central target, post war had a larger drawing on the right of the box till 1958, after that it was a photo.

HTH

Bruce
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2345678 View Post
    Oops i forgot the oil bottle.
    Extras aside, and being mint, most collectors ive met have made mention he takes the piss….reputation forming a bit there.
    Mad to think in the early 80s I stupidly gave one away, had one nicked one time and they came and went with a frequency similar to buying footware. Wish i could go back.
    Not sure I agree. Tim is probably the largest vintage airgun dealer in the country and has a habit of finding some really interesting items. Don't forget a dealer has overheads in terms of time, money invested and travel to view what may often turn out to be a tVrd rather than the desirable item it may have been advertised as. A dealer that sells an item for the same money he paid for it or with a low mark up won't remain a dealer for long. Tim is also a true gentleman and has offered a full money back guarantee if I wasn't satisfied with an item upon its arrival.

Some say the same about JC Militaria and while prices may seem a little high, again many items are desirable and JC's service is among the most professional and best I have ever experienced from any shop.

Ultimately no-one is forcing a collector to pay what may seem like a high price and the decision to buy or not to buy rests with the punter, so if an item is too expensive for one collector, it will often be snapped up by another.

Over time, I regret not buying items I considered too expensive when the opportunity arose to buy them way more than paying a little more than anticipated for others.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Not sure I agree. Tim is probably the largest vintage airgun dealer in the country and has a habit of finding some really interesting items. Don't forget a dealer has overheads in terms of time, money invested and travel to view what may often turn out to be a tVrd rather than the desirable item it may have been advertised as. A dealer that sells an item for the same money he paid for it or with a low mark up won't remain a dealer for long. Tim is also a true gentleman and has offered a full money back guarantee if I wasn't satisfied with an item upon its arrival.

Some say the same about JC Militaria and while prices may seem a little high, again many items are desirable and JC's service is among the most professional and best I have ever experienced from any shop.

Ultimately no-one is forcing a collector to pay what may seem like a high price and the decision to buy or not to buy rests with the punter, so if an item is too expensive for one collector, it will often be snapped up by another.

Over time, I regret not buying items I considered too expensive when the opportunity arose to buy them way more than paying a little more than anticipated for others.

John
    Agreed. I'd happily defend Tim Dyson & John Carlin. If I don't want to pay a particular price I don't buy that item. But fair to say they both have quite a turnover and often source the harder-to-find example. I've bought a fair few guns from both over the years, and they don't deal in crp. I bought a mint second hand HW98 laminate from Broadway Gunroom today. They'd sold it first time round as well (new). Yes I'd probably have got a cheaper one if I'd shopped around for a while on here, but I didn't. I knew I'd pay more but equally I know Chris has costs to cover, and as part of that his customers get great service. Dealers need to make a living too.
    Last edited by ashf9999; 04-03-2023 at 09:12 PM.

Another thing I'd say about Tim Dyson is that he's a real airgun collector himself. I don't know about John Carlin.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

John
    Fully nice guy and a collector himself for sure, i sold him a gun quite recently, but fact remains, still the most pricey.
    I could not find more expensive collectors guns myself….
    I checked the price of my gun on Guntrader and settled on a figure of approx £300 and quite surprised he offered £285, based on just pictures i sent. Even more surprised when i noticed it had been marked up by over £200 a month later. Dont doubt hes a perfect gent, but fact remains….the dealers are pricey, regardless of the size of the overheads.

In contrast he dont give a bad price if you are selling….I think hes gotten so use to his high prices, it does not seem to bother him to pay a reasonable price when purchasing…..So i have used him to sell to twice without the hassle of having people around the house to view the guns….so that would be my recommendation.

Im not sure its a good thing, or bad….the huge elevation of price of collectors guns by these dealers … I guess it really depends on how many you already have.
    Interesting discussion all the same and thanks….we all entitled to our view …its what forums are about.
    Last edited by Dave2345678; 04-03-2023 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    That's useful, might help you/others to date it. The vintage airgun gallery may have some pictures of old pricelists/catalogues. £7 7 shillings was the price in a 1955 list in the Gordon Bruce book. Assuming its a cardboard one does the box have a drawing or a photo on it? According to the Bruce book, pre WW2 ones had a small drawing on a central target, post war had a larger drawing on the right of the box till 1958, after that it was a photo.

HTH

Bruce
    I'm not sure till it arrives either Monday or Tuesday .it's being sent from a cousin in the isle of white.

I'm not sure till it arrives either Monday or Tuesday .it's being sent from a cousin in the isle of white.
    Saw another old ad - Senior list price in 1965 was £10 10s.
    Assuming that's the original box/price narrows it down to between '55 & '65.

Bru

you see some go for good money at the minute

I was wondering the same about a Webley Senior I picked up. It’s basically as new in the box, the cardboard box shoes its age, but the pistol is as good as it gets. If someone would like to post a couple of pics I’m happy to send.