Thread: Pistol shooting glasses

Pistol shooting glasses

Any recommendations for some pistol shooting glasses. I used to use some Knobloch years ago and I’ve looked at the Varga models. Can’t believe how expensive they are these days. Why did I sell the Knobloch ones. Doh.

Secondhand frames come up quite regularly on the Stirton Forum. Best bet is to register there and bide your time.

Rutty

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    Secondhand frames come up quite regularly on the Stirton Forum. Best bet is to register there and bide your time.

Rutty
    That’s very helpful and thank you.

If you can't wait for a secondhand pair I can highly recommend the Varga
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Buy a suitable pair of off the shelf ready readers (£5 to £10?), blank out the L/H lens then send them here for a new right hand lens:-

https://www.reglaze-glasses-direct.com/

Cost under £20.

You'll need your prescription for regular glasses and the Boot's optometrist who checked my eyes said at pistol foresight distance, a +1 over distance prescription would be needed. I'd taken a dummy "pistol" with me and the +1 turned out to be correct.

Put a covering note of explanation for ReGlaze in with your glasses. They've done 4 shooting lenses for me over the last few years.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

I am in the process of using Regalaze, if my prescription was not so awkward the replacement lenses were starting at £15 a pair delivered. For that you could have a pistol one and a rifle one.

They are very helpful and the chap I spoke to was Chris. He did however say I needed a plus 3 step on my prescription, but after talking to RobinC the other night he said I needed a plus 2 step (+50) to be added, I have contacted them so hopefully it will be rectified...

Thanks Robin

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Shooting glasses

To clarify,

For RIFLE with aperture sights, the lens you need is a +0.5 dioptre added to your long vision prescription and including your astigmatism, regard less of your prescription this is fixed and is the addition for all. So for example you have a +1.5 prescription, then for rifle you need +1.5 + 0.5 = +2.00 If you have a negative, then -1.5 +0.5 = 1.00

That compensates for the three focal distances involved and that you are looking through a small aperture. That 0.5 compensation will give you a bias to the front sight element (correct rifle aim!) and a compromise picture to the rear sight, and the aiming mark.

For PISTOL, its slightly different, in that you basically have two focal distances, the sights and the aiming mark. The bias should be on the sights, and the aiming mark can be very fuzzy indeed. To achieve that you will need a lens that achieves sharp focus on the sights, and it will likely be for most people your long vision prescription including astigmatism, plus + 0.75 dioptre. Where the rifle addition is fixed, there may be slight variations for pistol, but we are talking 0.1 dioptre variations and this is dependent on your arm and pistol length, and there can be advantages in getting checked with the pistol on aim, but even then its generally +0.75, and is a figure added to your long prescription so +1.5 + 0.75 =2.25 with minus's -1.5 +0.75 = -0.75.

A very fuzzy aiming mark is no issue, the concentration should be on the sharp sight picture.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Last edited by RobinC; 07-03-2023 at 09:24 AM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

I started using shooting glasses about 18 months ago, i now have a few pairs of Champion frames.
    I had never needed glasses and there was a bit of a learning curve.
    The first pair of frames was a hard spend but they turned out to be great, worth every penny, i shoot pretty much every day and never have any pain or discomfort wearing them.
    I have two pairs of Olympic Champions which are brilliant frames, loads of adjustment, really comfortable, and a pair of World Champion 1 which are a cheaper and more basic frame, not as nice but they still do the job.
    They are expensive as are the accessories but they work well, for me they have been money well spent but it was a slow and at times quite a frustrating process getting used to them.

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and am very impressed with the knowledge on here. I'm recently back to shooting but with a Weihrauch HW75 pistol benched at 10m until I iron a few things out.
    Top of this list is dealing with open sights and a short sighted varifocal prescription + astigmatism. First time out at the range I'm surprised I hit the target at all let alone anywhere near the centre.
    On my next visit I opted for my contact lenses which are set for longer distances and driving etc but generally requiring 1.5 readers at close quarters. There was a good deal of accuracy improvement however I'm still convinced that the sight picture could be a lot better.
    If I am understanding RobinC's post correctly would a set of +0.75 readers bring things together more effectively and comfortably for me ?
    Thank you,
    Liam

Quote Originally Posted by oggisports View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and am very impressed with the knowledge on here. I'm recently back to shooting but with a Weihrauch HW75 pistol benched at 10m until I iron a few things out.
    Top of this list is dealing with open sights and a short sighted varifocal prescription + astigmatism. First time out at the range I'm surprised I hit the target at all let alone anywhere near the centre.
    On my next visit I opted for my contact lenses which are set for longer distances and driving etc but generally requiring 1.5 readers at close quarters. There was a good deal of accuracy improvement however I'm still convinced that the sight picture could be a lot better.
    If I am understanding RobinC's post correctly would a set of +0.75 readers bring things together more effectively and comfortably for me ?
    Thank you,
    Liam
    If you have astigmatism, then the off the shelf readers will not do the job correctly. Just use the off the shelf frames and get a lens fitted by Reglaze (see posts above) made to your astigmatism and distance prescription +.75 . Better to only look through one lens, rather than a contact lens and a shooting lens. Go to the club wearing your varifocals and change specs for shooting.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by oggisports View Post
    Hi,
    Thank you,
    Liam
    NO! Wrong!!

+0.75 alone is not correct, you need your standard distance prescription and your astigmatism, PLUS +0.75 dioptre

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Still waiting for my lens from Reglaze..... at this rate my bus pass will arrive first.

Quote Originally Posted by 4ndy View Post
    Still waiting for my lens from Reglaze..... at this rate my bus pass will arrive first.
    I've had to wait a few days too. +3 is not a stock item for them and they have to order in. My last glasses and shooting lenses took about 10 or 12 days for this reason.