Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Old Airpistols?

Shooting Old Airpistols?

I try to use all my airpistols (just plinking in garden/shed). Even the quite precious ones.

Interested to know the hive thinking re best practice on this? Most of mine are pre war so generally fantastically (over)engineered. In my opinion using them is far better than them seizing up in a drawer

Steve

it is what they were made for .....use them and enjoy

I try to use most of mine for the purpose they were intended, including the older and less common ones. However I acquire most of them in less than perfect condition and fix them up so I’m generally not worried about having to fix them if something wears or breaks.

Not pre-war but I shoot my Webley Premier E series in pistol HFT competitions and it loves it!

each to their own but much of the enjoyment comes from seeing how well they shoot,mine are not too precious but if i had a rare minter that would need shooting,curiosity would get the better of me.

I definitely fall into the use themrather than just vollectvthem.
    Mind, none of mine are minters, just plinkers.
    ATB
    Dan

None of my pistols or rifles are absolutely 'mint', although some are close. Not as close as they used to be - bought virtually unused boxed Hurricane/Tempest Webleys & used them.
    A mate of mine, into classic motorbikes, used to say something like 'owning one, & not using it, is like not having sex with your wife/girlfriend, to keep her OK for the next bloke'.

Bru
    Last edited by laverdabru; 06-03-2023 at 09:33 PM.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Thumbs up

Spot on... What's the point if you're not going to shoot them?

I'd say it was better to wear away rather than rust away, not that you'd neglect them if they were not used but unless it's absolutely mint I'd use it.

Good to hear comments that confirm I'm happily doing the right thing.
    Plinking agogo :-)
    Steve

I try to use all of my airguns as well, actually big point of owning them. However a few of my rifles & pistols are in excellent condition (mint) and I do not want to put any user marks on them. For example a Diana mk2 Gatt type pistol and a Webley Senior and 2 excellent Juniors. Must say that I am enjoying these pieces less than the ones that are in good but not perfect condition and are fun shooters. Another category that does not see much use or any at all, are pieces that have fragile components, impossible/costly to replace. Examples are a Webley Service Mk2 first series, with fragile springclip & train mechanism and a Warrior pistol (not sure how fragile this one is)
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

I have managed to acquire quite a large collection of airguns over the last twenty five years, in addition to the six I already owned, since the '97 handgun ban when I turned my attention to 'other things shooting'. I find it difficult to shoot them all as often as I would like but last summer over a period of a few weeks I managed to put a number of pellets through each of my thirteen Webley mk3's and since then have made an effort to shoot others because it is important that they get used, as intended, and to keep all the working parts operational and not allow the leather washers to dry out.

The only pistol that I am reluctant to shoot is an early Webley mk1 pistol which is my favourite although very well used in the late 50's/early 60's and with no bluing left on the barrel and little elsewhere. I have owned it since a kid in 1957 and cost me 30/-. During the school summer holidays and weekends over a number of years, 1000's of pellets were shot through it and the small link between the long link and piston assembly has almost worn through and I am afraid that one more cocking may well be its last!

Aubrey
    Last edited by AC99; 08-03-2023 at 10:47 AM. Reason: additional info

Old airguns were meant to be used and as long as you're careful, it does them more good than harm.

Ironically the more used looking examples I have tend to shoot better than the pristine ones, probably because they have been well worn in.

There is something incredibly satisfying with hitting the mark with a pre war or even post war classic.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by AC99 View Post

The only pistol that I am reluctant to shoot is an early Webley mk1 pistol which is my favourite although very well used in the late 50's/early 60's and with no bluing left on the barrel and little elsewhere. I have owned it since a kid in 1957 and cost me 30/-. During the school summer holidays and weekends over a number of years, 1000's of pellets were shot through it and the small link between the long link and piston assembly has almost worn through and I am afraid that one more cocking may well be its last!

Aubrey
    Just had a look, they are available for £9.50.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Thanks Bru - they weren't available last time I visited Knibbs site.