Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun oil or any old oil/grease?

Gun oil or any old oil/grease?

Having bought a new gun I would like to keep it well-maintained and in good working order. The bloke at my local gun shop said to lubricate the hinge where the barrel breaks. Is there a reason to use specific gun oil or grease, or will pretty much anything do the job without damaging any parts or their finish?

Thanks in advance.

I use 3 in 1 for that, nothing special.

Grease is better than oil. Any oil is better than no oil.

What gun did you buy?
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    What gun did you buy?
    An HW98.

Just not silicone grease or oil as it's metal to metal contact.

As already said 3 in 1 it will penetrate into the hinge pivot ,Grease will not without stripping to apply it..

The old saying was- Big bits, grease, small bits oil.

As above - metal to metal contact, NO SILICONE.

I'm happy to use 3-1 type oil at regular intervals, but most of my guns are oldies, & that was around then. Even my newer ones are old tech.
    Wouldn't use WD40 or similar, too thin, alleged to remove blueing.
    Last edited by laverdabru; 09-03-2023 at 10:40 PM.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Yep, ideally strip and a tiny smear of moly grease / paste. If not stripping, a thin oil is okay. Don't overdo it. And, personally, I'd use a light motor oil. Something like 30wt stuff for lawnmowers (a bottle will last forever for small jobs) in that area. Also apply to the cocking lever / breech block pivot. Something like the 3-in-1 to the safety catch periodically.
    If oiling that barrel hinge bolt, I'd apply a drop on each side with the rifle horizontal. Hold in position for a good time. Then hold with muzzle pointing towards the ground. Check transfer port area and make sure no oil has entered (it shouldn't have). Again, if rifle is stood upright, periodically check the area to make sure no oil has entered the TP.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

i use 3 in one on my 95

What's a barrel hinge bolt? I thought it was the "breech block pivot" I was referring to in my OP.

https://imgur.com/a/ViFO3mf
    Last edited by R3XXY; 10-03-2023 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by R3XXY View Post
    What's a barrel hinge bolt? I thnk it was the "breech block pivot" I was referring to in my OP.

When you break your barrel, it rotates around a central point. That is either a pin or if better engineered a bolt which allows you to tighten the jaws.
    The breech block is the part the barrel is fixed to and the jaws are at the end of the cylinder where the barrel and breach block fit in-between.
    You will have the best solution, a bolt because Weihrauch do it right.

Krytox GPL-205

My new, (2018), HW95L .22 had the seal damaged by dieseling from over oiling/greasing at the Weihrauch factory by using inexperienced folks due to the China Virus. After a through cleaning & polishing I installed an ARH kit with a Vortek seal & lubed with Krytox GPL-205 which eliminated the dieseling. This stuff is expensive but I believe it is worth it as I have not had any problems after several thousand shots. I also use Hoppe's 9 on the pivot joints.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis299 View Post
    My new, (2018), HW95L .22 had the seal damaged by dieseling from over oiling/greasing at the Weihrauch factory by using inexperienced folks due to the China Virus. After a through cleaning & polishing I installed an ARH kit with a Vortek seal & lubed with Krytox GPL-205 which eliminated the dieseling. This stuff is expensive but I believe it is worth it as I have not had any problems after several thousand shots. I also use Hoppe's 9 on the pivot joints.
    The important part is to put the correct lube in the correct spot.
    Proper springer lubrication often means three different products, and most of them are usually not available at your local gunstore.
    Too many airguns!

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    The important part is to put the correct lube in the correct spot.
    Proper springer lubrication often means three different products, and most of them are usually not available at your local gunstore.
    Then that's a poor local gun store that no doubt complains about its customers shopping on line and cannot understand why.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

I feel oil is fine for a rag and wipe down and some thin oil like sowing machine oil for the trigger but most parts on a springer take some high wear/force so I feel appropriate grease is the best route for sure.