Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camper van living and airguns in Scotland.

Camper van living and airguns in Scotland.

hi, im at the start of the process of converting my van (peugeot boxer lwb)into a camper van, the idea being to go around the UK for a year touring and working. My initial plan is to start off in Wales and then , when the weather starts to get better, make my way up to Scotland and spend a lot of time up there wild camping. i'm not really a fan of people to be honest, so spending most of the time with my dog in the middle of nowhere is very appealing to me. As a child we did a lot of camping in the summer holidays and went all over Wales and parts of Scotland . The countryside in the UK is amazing and now that my son has grown up, i am free to tour the UK again instead of taking him on package holidays to Spain.
    As part of my travel kit i wil be taking fishing kit and also an air rifle, probably my WH100.
    I know that air rifles dont have to be registered in Wales and England, but has anyone had any experience with Scotland? i think i read somewhere that air rifles had to be registered in Scotland and was wondering if i would need to do that if i was touring? Obviously i would be seeking landowner permission to shoot .
    I havent googled this yet as i thought it would be fun to go the old traditional route of information gathering ie, asking.
    Any one done what i am hoping to do or planning on doing it in the future?

It sounds very, very appealing to me. I've been wild camping up in Scotland a few times, love it, except for the Midgies.

Consider getting a cheaper , more compact rifle, Ultra maybe. BUT , it sounds a bit iffy to take one up Scotland. If it where me and you where wanting to get the odd rabbit for the pot, maybe a few snares if your out in the back of beyond.

Good luck and enjoy your trip, sounds like a great adventure.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    You will need an AWL regardless of whether you are from here or visiting.
    The license is for the person and guns arent specified or listedl.
    Gun control means using both hands.

You can get a visitors permit, assuming you still have a home address in England to send it to.

https://www.scotland.police.uk/about...g/air-weapons/

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    maybe a few snares if your out in the back of beyond.
    It is a criminal offence in Scotland to set snares, or even be in possession of them without a police authorisation, which you need to have training to obtain.

Sounds like my kind of Heaven.
    Have you thought about filling the PCP, a pump may be required or decent TX instead. A lot of Scotland is very uninhabited.
    VAYA CON DIOS

My brother did a similar thing 4 years ago. He and his girlfriend enjoyed it but finding a place to park up overnight where they felt confidently safe was stressful. They soon developed a routine where they found a suitable place late afternoon mostly by explaining their situation to a farmer. Good luck with this exciting project.

Quote Originally Posted by distantcamera View Post
    It is a criminal offence in Scotland to set snares, or even be in possession of them without a police authorisation, which you need to have training to obtain.
    Oh well, scrap that idea

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    . A lot of Scotland is very uninhabited.
    And those would be where I would be heading for, bliss

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    Sounds like my kind of Heaven.
    Have you thought about filling the PCP, a pump may be required or decent TX instead. A lot of Scotland is very uninhabited.
    This - it takes a visit down into England to remember just how empty of people out with the central belt Scotland is. The population is tiny for the size of the country.

Take a slingshot and practice with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BC312 View Post
    Take a slingshot and practice with it.
    He beat me to it!
    Definitely this is the way to go, you can shoot a slingshot on public land and you can carry one everywhere you go.
    Depending on the frame and the bands they also make more power than airguns and are plenty accurate for hunting at short range.

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    He beat me to it!
    Definitely this is the way to go, you can shoot a slingshot on public land and you can carry one everywhere you go.
    Depending on the frame and the bands they also make more power than airguns and are plenty accurate for hunting at short range.
    Sorry mate to beat you to it. Trouble is these day anything resembling a gun and you get a helicopter buzzing over your head. Trouble is even if you think you are out in the middle of nowhere, you can gurentee someone is watching you through a pair of binos bird watching, you can never tell, wouldn't take the risk. As with a sling shot very quite, easy to conceal and repair if you make your own and ammo is cheap. As for taking a rabbit for the pot, a head shot with a 10mm ball will despatch very easily, for more tips on accuracy watch Gamekeeper John videos on Youtube, you will be amazed accuracy, just needs practice.

Quote Originally Posted by BC312 View Post
    Sorry mate to beat you to it. Trouble is these day anything resembling a gun and you get a helicopter buzzing over your head. Trouble is even if you think you are out in the middle of nowhere, you can gurentee someone is watching you through a pair of binos bird watching, you can never tell, wouldn't take the risk. As with a sling shot very quite, easy to conceal and repair if you make your own and ammo is cheap. As for taking a rabbit for the pot, a head shot with a 10mm ball will despatch very easily, for more tips on accuracy watch Gamekeeper John videos on Youtube, you will be amazed accuracy, just needs practice.
    When you know, you know.....

lots of good info thanks. unfortunately back when i was young and stupid iwas involved in a scrap and ended up doing a bt of time. ive just been on the link that Distantcamera posted and after reading it, i highly doubt i will be able to get a permit. so a new amendment to my plan is to keep my air rifle on me until i decide to head to scotland and then to post it to my son who can store it for me. im going to have a look into slingshots, ive only ever had one (a black widow) when i was around 10. in fact i still have it somewqhere . So a slingshot for Scotland it is, does anyone have any suggestions? i know there is a wide variety of makes of bands etc... so a bit of advice would be great.
    Thanks again!