Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning Airstar wall hanger

Browning Airstar wall hanger

I have a Browning Airstar that on the outside is in mint condition. Unfortunately the circuit board seems to have burnt out. The motor started to compress the spring but then smoke started to come out of the circuit board compartment.

I’m wondering if this rifle is of any interest to a collector as a curio. Not many were made.

Externally it is in great condition and has the charger.

I’m arranging for it to be sold at Kempon but would like an idea of price.

Thanks for your interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Graybat View Post
    I have a Browning Airstar that on the outside is in mint condition. Unfortunately the circuit board seems to have burnt out. The motor started to compress the spring but then smoke started to come out of the circuit board compartment.

I’m wondering if this rifle is of any interest to a collector as a curio. Not many were made.

Externally it is in great condition and has the charger.

I’m arranging for it to be sold at Kempon but would like an idea of price.

Thanks for your interest.
    Hmm, as you say, not that many around. Probably for a reason. I have 2 - they're heavy, loud, slow to re-cock and the Ni-Cd battery (even when new) didn't last long. That said they are part of the Browning/Rutten history, are beautifully made and have their place in history. You certainly think carefully before your shot.

The board itself is quite simple, so it should be possible to repair it or build a new one from veroboard if the tracks burnt. However, due to their rarity, the broken gun may be attractive for its gearbox, in particular.

It'll be too heavy as a wall hanger for most modern homes.

As a breaker I'd say £50-80 may be fair. You'll only really shift it to an existing owner, I suspect. Or as one helluva project gun. Otherwise I fear it is worthless...

never seen one of these before

Interesting comment about rebuilding the board. Is there a circuit diagram anywhere ... I have not looked?

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    Have a look on YouTube. Browning Airstar 200

A couple of good videos showing what a quirky gun they were. I found them very accurate and seemed recoiless. The noise of it being cocked is memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    You don't want to see one, Jeff.

Unframed Dave has one and the noise of it cocking gave me a Migraine.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Interesting comment about rebuilding the board. Is there a circuit diagram anywhere ... I have not looked?

Cheers, Phil
    Not sure if there is a diagram, but am happy to dig out and photograph a board from mine. I think (though I may be wrong) my 2 have slightly different boards (is going by the larger serial number a dangerous assumption it was the more current version?), but all the components were fairly bog standard from memory. It is primarily a charging circuit and a shut-off so the motor knows when to stop cocking the gun.

Have a look on YouTube. Browning Airstar 200

A couple of good videos showing what a quirky gun they were. I found them very accurate and seemed recoiless. The noise of it being cocked is memorable.
    True; recoil was somewhat subdued, but more down to the weight of the gun than the design. Its no Park Rifle in that respect.
    They are nicely engineered and, if you had your 3 Shredded Wheat in the morning, capable of good groups I agree.

...The noise of it being cocked is memorable.
    Like a constipated robot.

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    Not sure if there is a diagram, but am happy to dig out and photograph a board from mine. I think (though I may be wrong) my 2 have slightly different boards (is going by the larger serial number a dangerous assumption it was the more current version?), but all the components were fairly bog standard from memory. It is primarily a charging circuit and a shut-off so the motor knows when to stop cocking the gun.
    Thank you so much for your kind offer but I do not wish to bother you. My question was purely out of curiosity and a photo of the board, while interesting, would not really give the information I was interested in. But thanks ...

I do have vague recollections of having shot one somewhere ... a Shooting Show maybe all those years ago? I remember magazine reviews being quite favourable as well.

Cheers, Phil

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    You don't want to see one, Jeff.

Unframed Dave has one and the noise of it cocking gave me a Migraine.
    Strange but l don't find mine all that noisy. it's just the time it takes. and no more weight than some target rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Thank you so much for your kind offer but I do not wish to bother you. My question was purely out of curiosity and a photo of the board, while interesting, would not really give the information I was interested in. But thanks ...

I do have vague recollections of having shot one somewhere ... a Shooting Show maybe all those years ago? I remember magazine reviews being quite favourable as well.

Cheers, Phil

Well next time I have one apart I'll sketch out the circuitry. Only issue I had was a an iffy joint to one of the boards meant cocking was intermittent (wires from the switch/button weren't soldered very well - but that may gave been due to a previous owner rather than the guys at Rutten).

I certainly remember shooting one at the NEC during the early 90s.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Strange but l don't find mine all that noisy. it's just the time it takes. and no more weight than some target rifles.
    Mick can be a bit if a drama queen at times, Ray (proper manly bloke) used to like it, mind you, he would wipe the condensation of a Theoben cylinder, mix it with wd40 and dab it behind his ears.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    They do free hearing tests at Specsavers now, Micky --- just saying like.

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Mick can be a bit if a drama queen at times, Ray (proper manly bloke) used to like it, mind you, he would wipe the condensation of a Theoben cylinder, mix it with wd40 and dab it behind his ears.

Dave

Yes Dave, but we know what Ray is.