Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: looking at second hand rapids

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyMorty View Post
    Some of the best looking guns ever made. The Rapid set the standard for PCP's and a majority of blocks made to taday by different manufacturers still use the same principle.

It's not really folklore, it's fact, they are the best airguns in the World.
    I'm clearly in the minority on this thread but I know of many who hold the same view as myself.

Sure they might be very basic in design and therefore "easy to work" on for those with the inclination and/or the skills to do so but they're no more accurate than most PCPs out there today in my experience.

As for "best looking" - now you really are having a laugh!!
    "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son" Dean Wormer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kes View Post
    I'm clearly in the minority on this thread but I know of many who hold the same view as myself.

Sure they might be very basic in design and therefore "easy to work" on for those with the inclination and/or the skills to do so but they're no more accurate than most PCPs out there today in my experience.

As for "best looking" - now you really are having a laugh!!
    Exactly , No more accurate than the guns that are out there today, But all must remember , Some of these are 35+ years old. And still amongst the best of today.

Ugly Rapids?

Fair enough but it depends on what model. The early Elan offered a miniature hidden air cylinder with a full length traditional style stock and a nice one at that. How about the Vanquish? Slim cylinder and beautiful Gary Cane designed stock. Certainly a beautiful rifle in my opinion.

Looks are purely personal taste, If Kes finds them ugly, that's his opinion, & he's entitled to it.
    Sorry dair but my personal view is that Gary Cane stocks are utterly hideous.

The MK1 can't really be called "good looking, the MK2 is better as it blends in the bottle, the MFR however I call a genuinely good looking rifle especially with the shrouded barrel.

As for performance, I've just finished building a .22 MFR from parts collected over several years, every pellet I've tried does a single 5p size ragged hole,
    That's standing off sticks at 25yds, no doubt it would be better still off a shooting rest, best of 4fps spread for a magazine - worst of 9fps,
    I doubt many of todays wonder guns would do much better.

ugly Rapids?

I agree with what you say. In fact I agree with what Kes said. That's why I said "fair enough." Just wanted to point out that there are completely different looking models. I too have an MFR like you and it might be my favorite model overall and I think it looks great with the newer designed stock and the smaller 280cc bottle. Not ugly at all. I also stated that the Vanquish Gary Cane stock was beautiful "in my opinion". I do realize it's not for everyone and I'm also not a fan of all his designs. I think we are on the same page more than you think.
    Last edited by dair; 21-03-2023 at 02:01 PM.

one gun i regret selling my 22 mfr

As for performance, I've just finished building a .22 MFR from parts collected over several years, every pellet I've tried does a single 5p size ragged hole,
    That's standing off sticks at 25yds, no doubt it would be better still off a shooting rest, best of 4fps spread for a magazine - worst of 9fps,

Defo be better groups if Mr Bear could actually shoot or it was a .177!!!!!!!! (Only kidding)
    I would have liked to have seen the development if Theoben had survived and were still going.
    So question, how do you improve the Rapid without,
    1. Effecting its robustness and reliability.
    2. Effecting the accuracy of the rifle.
    3. Effecting the shot count.
    VAYA CON DIOS

my mate loves his new rapid

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post

Defo be better groups if Mr Bear could actually shoot or it was a .177!!!!!!!! (Only kidding)
    I would have liked to have seen the development if Theoben had survived and were still going.
    So question, how do you improve the Rapid without,
    1. Effecting its robustness and reliability.
    2. Effecting the accuracy of the rifle.
    3. Effecting the shot count.
    You send it to Kev G

A quick fill and gauge, like the air rangers. Atb mick

That's what I. Had fitted on my last one

the one gun i will never sell is my rapid

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    You send it to Kev G
    yup
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

kev done a few for me over the years so did paul sewell both great