Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: looking at second hand rapids

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    To be fair the current price of a AA pro sport is nearly £1k.
    By strange coincidence I bought one last night Beech.. £450 boxed as new.
    I wouldn't pay £839 for one.
    Fwiw I went straight to Redfearns with it , put a 10x40 Bushy on it ,zeroed up and went round the course with it.
    Freezing to death but really like the gun.
    Very accurate with Accupell even out to 55yds when I sussed the dots.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    price of second hand guns at moment is mad
    And cars.
    Master Debater

The rapid 7 craze for me was reading airgunner years ago as a kid and seeing JD taking 50yard shots. 50 bloody yards, that was nearly doubling what I could do, this got me longing for that butt ugly PCP. Problem was i could only afford a bsa supersport, my mate a superstar. Both of us vowed we'd have one at some point. Move on 20 years and my mate bought one in fac, iirc around the £600 mark. It was alright, hell of a lump and completely acceptable for airgun. But after pushing the limits of it's use, after 60-70 yards we found it started opening up, no matter what pellet we tried, and he got bored of it very quickly. Tho I'm not a fan of the style as it doesn't fit me, he bought a MK3 wildcat that just about trumps the rapid on everything.
    Would I have a rapid now, no - unless it was to be stored as a investment. They certainly hold their money, I think if I'm right they were £600 in the early 90s when I was reading about them.
    For me it will be a bsa superten MK3 bullbarrel. More affordable, still ugly and plenty about.
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    Why change something that works.
    I've had many different PCP's, all decent in their own right. Guess which one is my go to. The Rapid TTR. It does HFT, its does hunting, it does 200+ shots on a range day...what more can you want?
    It will also outshoot or equal pretty much anything you want to put it up against for pin point accuracy.
    Admittedly I had a stock made, and I had some barrel work done, but the mechanism works well so I don't see the point in changing it.

Kind Regards,
    Rhys
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

Quote Originally Posted by rgc_swanseaARC View Post
    Why change something that works.
    I've had many different PCP's, all decent in their own right. Guess which one is my go to. The Rapid TTR. It does HFT, its does hunting, it does 200+ shots on a range day...what more can you want?
    It will also outshoot or equal pretty much anything you want to put it up against for pin point accuracy.
    Admittedly I had a stock made, and I had some barrel work done, but the mechanism works well so I don't see the point in changing it.

Kind Regards,
    Rhys
    I had a nearly new TTR in a cammo polymer stock.
    It weighed a ton.
    If I had it today it would be a lot of money.
    I paid £500 for it ..lol.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

John Darling is folklore. Early days of the modern PCP. The Rapid is basic which is both a good thing and a bad thing made using both metal and bullshit in equal measure🙂🙃😉

However, its an effective hunting tool as much today as it was in the early PCP era. The biggest issue was the crap triggers which took Theoben years to sort out as a std expectation.

Today, there are many guns that do it better BUT undeniably, the simplistic design of the Rapid still works today.

Easy to work on and a lot of knowledgeable peeps out there.

Its no longer my first choice of rifle. Not even my 2nd or 3rd etc. BUT still an extremely capable gun.

Outclassed, specced and better engineered with other makes and models.... but it simplicity also makes it reliable overall.

Snub the Rapids capability today at your peril. But still not my go to equipment. But nor can you say its not relevant or capable.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

my mate just paid 800 for a mk1 in 22 cal

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Really ? says who

They're held in high esteem because they're excellent, well balanced, stunningly accurate & easy to work on.
    Aesthetically some look better than others, but most are better than the current craze for Bullpups &/or AR clones.
    Says me.

Had one myself in FAC a few years back. Speak as I find.
    They're ugly and certainly no better than anything else out there these days of similar or even less cost.
    "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son" Dean Wormer.

I also speak as I find

Slightly biased as I've got 4, two of them built up from parts,
    all different barrel lengths & bottles but every one manages to just "feel right" as soon as you shoulder it.

I did think about swapping the MK2 FAC .25 for an Impact, because they've got a lot more power but when I shouldered one it had horrible balance & felt all wrong.

lots of people love there rapids

Rapid

I recalled my first rapid was an MFR and I paid £899 with out mags. Brand new. This must have been around 2002-2003. Wish I didn’t sell it on.
    A few years ago I managed to acquire a Mk2 and still have it but find the trigger and the balance is not as good as the old mfr.

i liked my old mfr

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    One of the big attractions for was the simplicity of the gun. It is really the TX200 of PCPs
    I look at more modern rifles (and see them play up at the club) and think even if I got past the anti-tamper I wouldn't know where to start
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Macca1 View Post
    I recalled my first rapid was an MFR and I paid £899 with out mags. Brand new. This must have been around 2002-2003. Wish I didn’t sell it on.
    A few years ago I managed to acquire a Mk2 and still have it but find the trigger and the balance is not as good as the old mfr.
    I doubt it that's the 2012 rrp
    at it's release in July 2003 the MFR was £795.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    To be fair the current price of a AA pro sport is nearly £1k.
    To be fair one looks like a rifle and the other looks like something from scrap heap challenge