Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: looking at second hand rapids

I have got a mint MK2 i may be selling, never use it much, nice bit of kit.

They are the "Bret Hart" of airguns.
    The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be!! (Showing my age a bit)
    My Rapid 17FT is 28-29 year old and still holds its own in any hunting scenario, HFT or FT comp.
    I admit that they are basic-ish and them Gamo triggers were crap.
    Mine is a MK1 with a bespoke reg fitted, the Gold Medal Trigger was polished and fettled and is cracking, Anschutz match barrel is superb. 300 shots to a charge. I'm still using the two original magazines.
    There are definitely newer, prettier or more ergonomic options out there, but how would they have faired after 3 decades and what must be over a 100k of pellets put through it and its been out in all weathers.
    I have seen tons of other rifles give up and have had to be repaired over the years, Air Arms, Daystates, HWs, made of toffee FXs, even my Ripley went and blew its reg.
    I think the only thing wrong with a decent Rapid is that as it is basic a lot of people destroy them in home servicing and tuning.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    They are the "Bret Hart" of airguns.
    The best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be!! (Showing my age a bit)
    My Rapid 17FT is 28-29 year old and still holds its own in any hunting scenario, HFT or FT comp.
    I admit that they are basic-ish and them Gamo triggers were crap.
    Mine is a MK1 with a bespoke reg fitted, the Gold Medal Trigger was polished and fettled and is cracking, Anschutz match barrel is superb. 300 shots to a charge. I'm still using the two original magazines.
    There are definitely newer, prettier or more ergonomic options out there, but how would they have faired after 3 decades and what must be over a 100k of pellets put through it and its been out in all weathers.
    I have seen tons of other rifles give up and have had to be repaired over the years, Air Arms, Daystates, HWs, made of toffee FXs, even my Ripley went and blew its reg.
    I think the only thing wrong with a decent Rapid is that as it is basic a lot of people destroy them in home servicing and tuning.
    Couldn’t agree more, I have a couple of Mk2’s, an MFR and an Impact GSX200. One of the Mk2’s had been played with before I bought it and had a fast flow fitted. Once sorted it has performed flawlessly as have the others ��

as i say lovey guns but a bit pricey now

I would not part with my Rapids, they do exactly what it says on the tin.
    Bob

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by nevadacowboy View Post
    I would not part with my Rapids, they do exactly what it says on the tin.
    Leak ?
    Master Debater

I bought one of the fork truck mechanic at work for £300 about 15 years ago it had a Tyrolean stock and was in 22 shot it about 4 magazines then my mate Kenny came round with a Daystate all black painted with open sights so I swapped even though I had three Daystates at that time
    Wish I had kept it for a bit at least to see what all the fuss is about (although I remember the mag and bolt mechanism seemed a bit rattly )

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    I bought one of the fork truck mechanic at work for £300 about 15 years ago it had a Tyrolean stock and was in 22 shot it about 4 magazines then my mate Kenny came round with a Daystate all black painted with open sights so I swapped even though I had three Daystates at that time
    Wish I had kept it for a bit at least to see what all the fuss is about (although I remember the mag and bolt mechanism seemed a bit rattly )
    When you see the more knowledgeable people on the forums who have Rapids I think that's about the best reviews you will ever get,

and there are some on here

For me the thing with them is they are so customisable........ Almost like the a cross between and AR15/AK45 the parts swapability of the AR and the rugged reliableness of the AK! you can strip one down in 10mins, replace the valve and o rings, or if its regged rebuild the reg in another 10mins (to allow for messing around setting it up on a reg tester) put it in a different stock change the cal. in 3-5mins you name it you can do it.

Own eight PCP’s and four of these are mk2 rapids, with hopefully an Elan coming my way shortly.
    My 90% of my go to rifle is the Anschutz Rapid followed by the AA TDR as a 2nd go to rifle. Occasionally I shoot the other BSA’s, although I tend to pick up a rapid every time.

The rapids are a very easy rifle to strip and work on, plus I can easy chop and change if I want too, changing calibres, stocks or bottles sizes etc.

I've just built No 4 from parts acquired over the past couple of years, most of the internals are common between models which make life easy in that respect.

Rapids are the Harley Davidson of the airgun world, you either do, or you don't.

Like the T shirts say "if I need to explain, you just won't understand"

most people are happy with them

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    When you see the more knowledgeable people on the forums who have Rapids I think that's about the best reviews you will ever get,
    what makes them "more knowledgeable " ? compared with for instance me

theres a question