Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: looking at second hand rapids

Quote Originally Posted by Strimmer View Post
    The rapid 7 craze for me was reading airgunner years ago as a kid and seeing JD taking 50yard shots. 50 bloody yards, that was nearly doubling what I could do, this got me longing for that butt ugly PCP. Problem was i could only afford a bsa supersport, my mate a superstar. Both of us vowed we'd have one at some point. Move on 20 years and my mate bought one in fac, iirc around the £600 mark. It was alright, hell of a lump and completely acceptable for airgun. But after pushing the limits of it's use, after 60-70 yards we found it started opening up, no matter what pellet we tried, and he got bored of it very quickly. Tho I'm not a fan of the style as it doesn't fit me, he bought a MK3 wildcat that just about trumps the rapid on everything.
    Would I have a rapid now, no - unless it was to be stored as a investment. They certainly hold their money, I think if I'm right they were £600 in the early 90s when I was reading about them.
    For me it will be a bsa superten MK3 bullbarrel. More affordable, still ugly and plenty about.
    Hey not long sold my mk3 s10 bbk (poor man's rapid) But in all fairness it was a very accurate gun. Really pushed myself to sell it but I say that about all of the guns. Unfortunately my kids have no interest in guns so more deciding to do over the next couple years. The bsa s10 though is a very good gun.

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    what makes them "more knowledgeable " ? compared with for instance me
    No offence to you bud but if I needed some work done on a gun that I wasn't confident enough to do myself there are quite a few on the forums that I would have confidence in to do a very good job. Quite a few I can think of own rapids. So with their experience and knowledge and owners of the above then that's good enough for me. They obviously regard them quite highly. There is a reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kes View Post
    Always amazed me why people held them in such esteem.

Ugly looking things (as are the majority of front-mounted buddy bottle airguns) with a rubbish planky stock.

I think John Darling's choice of it as his (FAC) PCP years ago when they were one of the few PCPs around at the time probably helped establish them in airgun "folklore"

More of a collector's item than a sought-after hunting tool these days since there is so much more about to choose from that is aesthetically much better and in terms of performance.

I wouldn't pay £500 for a second hand one. Each to their own though ...
    Some of the best looking guns ever made. The Rapid set the standard for PCP's and a majority of blocks made to taday by different manufacturers still use the same principle.

It's not really folklore, it's fact, they are the best airguns in the World.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Leak ?
    You are thinking of Daystates

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    and there are some on here
    Quite right. More so very trusting. I've heard and known some right horror stories through gun shops for repairs etc. Some shocking stories and lots of bull stuff appearing as well. Quite a few on the forums who are more capable and do a better job. Without the cost as well.

i agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyMorty View Post
    You are thinking of Daystates
    More like the hw100 I would have thought.

my mate bought a lovely rapid the other day but paid a lot for it

My first proper air rifle was a Falcon light hunter. I traded it for a Rapid Mk2 Anschutz when they first came out. I still own the rifle and one day my son will get it. It’s still my go to rifle and it’s magnificent. I have no doubt that they will still go up in value ahead of inflation. There are probably better rifles now especially in FAC, but not in my heart!

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    my mate bought a lovely rapid the other day but paid a lot for it
    Yes bud they can fetch some money nice ones. There's a few good reasons why they bring good money. Just speaks for itself really.

my mate brought his around last night to show me very nice example totaly standard and mint condition

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I would pay top price for a un molested post 2007 rapid. I wouldn’t pay that much for an early one.
    Master Debater

This is my 1997 Rapid 7 which I purchased for £200-00 it was in a very bad way, with a stock someone had fitted a light to by drilling it through and cracking it in the process it had a cycle valve core in the air reservoir which is dangerous, internal parts were missing they had tried to increase the power by screwing the end cap which tensions the exhaust valve spring in as far as it would go, and it wouldn't hold air pressure for more than an hour.
    I got a custom stock for it and resealed it replacing the missing components, which cost me £420-00 in total, so it cost me including the purchase price £620-00.
    The scope is an forty year old Edgar brothers scope off a .303 . stalking rifle
    The target was 10 shots at 35 yards bench rested.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronte...57629592696814

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    loverly - nothing wrong with that performance either

I've still got my Rapid and just see no reason to sell it... plenty of shots, accurate, and so simple to maintain if needed.
    My little kral carbine is lighter and shorter, and the sidelver is nice, so I'd probably choose it as a walkabout gun, but at the club, the shot count and outright accuracy makes the rapid an easy preference.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

looks very nice