Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .25

Afternoon all. Seem quite a few manufacturers are making .25 break barrel springers just lately in sub 12ftlbs. Seeing more and more reviews. Anyone got one? What would be the main use? Guessing close quarter dispatch, rats and such. Anyone use one for paper punching?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Bell target would be impressive...
    It would certainly give the bell a more sporting chance.

I've got an HW 99 in .25 and am very happy with it.
    You need to use lighter pellets in sub 12, H&Ns at 20.06 gr and Marksmans at 19.2 if memory serves me right. The Marksmans are surprisingly good and the H & Ns are only a bit better IMHO.
    Angry bear may confirm.
    I had a garden rat problem and found they shoot flat enough out to 20 yards.
    I've said in a previous post how I plink with small blocks of wood. .22s knock 'em flying but my Herman really knocks them further and seems to split them sooner than the 22s.

I've chrono'd the Marksmans at 515 and the H & Ns at 510 fps.
    Last edited by Dornfelderliebe; 15-03-2023 at 01:59 PM. Reason: missed abit

I had a hw80 in a custom thumbhole stock in .25,,,tuned by welsh willy it was just under 12 ft lbs with HN pellets,, very accurate for my use on various feeding stations at 20 yards and it packed a punch , in fact it made a right old mess on the skull area of the many vermin I took with it…probably capable of longer ranges but I zeroed and only used it on the said feeding stations at the closer ranges… I also had other guns in mostly 177 but had to try a .25 … sadly I sold it on

I keep seeing the reviews, and it's an itch I need to scratch. I quite like the look of the cometa 400 ssc .25 I had 2 cometa fusions and both went back as both broke. But seen nothing but good reviews on the 400 🤷♂️

Have a mk1 80 in 25. Very accurate and spins the targets round at 30 yards a treat.
    As said Markmen are good, and Ftt.👍
    snarepeg.

Personally lee I would get the hw80 in .25 they are bombproof mate,, best to get a bit of quality in the first instance in.25.. at least that way you can trust it in years to come.

It all depends on what this calibre rifle is going to be used for. As with any projectile, it depends on trajectory to get the pellet on target. The smaller calibre can give a variable range with little difference to point of aim while the larger calibre is range dependent. A way to explain this could be, what is going to do more damage to a target, a sugar cube or a golf ball, both thrown at the same lbft ?

I've also got a .25 HW carbine barrel on what is probably a Mk 1 HW80.

It is really nice to shoot and destroys cans in a way that the smaller calibres don't.

Good fun if you can source a replacement barrel.

Up close a .25 is more effective against soft vermin. Rats in buildings seem to be the classic use. .25 is less destructive to buildings structures than smaller calibres. I doubt it penetrates tin roofs.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by Leepelletb View Post
    Afternoon all. Seem quite a few manufacturers are making .25 break barrel springers just lately in sub 12ftlbs. Seeing more and more reviews. Anyone got one? What would be the main use? Guessing close quarter dispatch, rats and such. Anyone use one for paper punching?
    I've had a couple of springers, but now only have a pcp in sub 12 .25-cal, You can use a 25-cal for the same things as any other cal,
    A couple of points to note .25 does wreck backstops & pellet catchers, and if it's for club use check it's allowed, some are limited to .22 max

Yes, predominantly it's garden pest control, but they aren't as range restricted as many .177 fanboys would have you think .

If I can remember how I'll screen shot my Chairgun trajectories, with FTT 20gn & JSB 25.4gn.

Last edited by angrybear; 15-03-2023 at 04:53 PM.

If I'm reading that graph correctly they are flat enough out to 25 yards. I would consider that far enough. I've read disparaging comments about Mortars and throwing pork pies. Get your holdover correct and you can easily get to 30 yards

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    If I'm reading that graph correctly they are flat enough out to 25 yards. I would consider that far enough. I've read disparaging comments about Mortars and throwing pork pies. Get your holdover correct and you can easily get to 30 yards
    Yep,
    0 is the scope line of sight,
    start point at -1.75" is the muzzle, to scope height.
    the pink area is the PBR, where the pellet is +/- half an inch, so aim pretty much dead on with the FTT from 6yds to 28yds, or with the JSB it's 5.5yds to 26yds.

Blimey. If I didn't already have one I'd get one now.

The only thing that remains for you undecided is which gun?

I’m a big advocate of .25, but for the specific purpose of rats (and sometimes pigeons) around farm buildings. It’s close range work, and 20 yards would be considered a long shot. A lot of people give out that a sub 12 ft/lb rifle is a waste of time in .25, but for this specific job it really isn’t. I’ve actually observed through-penetration on rats at this range with the .25, with hollow points sometimes punching an exit wound the size of a large grape. For this work, it’s a fine tool.

Cheers
    Greg