Thread: Frank Clarke Titan mk6 finish

Frank Clarke Titan mk6 finish

This arrived today, looking more than a little tired. I’ve given it a gentle clean with some oil and fire wool and it is now looking a bit better. It is pretty much complete but has obviously had a hard life, there is a fair bit of pitting on the other side, evidence someone has put the trigger pins back in rather carelessly with a hammer and it appears about an inch has been removed from the end of the barrel.

The numbering on the breach and frame match (29U) so they were presumably fitted together originally but the fit it not great and the seal between the cylinder and barrel is almost non-existent. I’ve fitted a new leather piston seal (no trace of the original or the screw which held it in place) and a dart will now leave the barrel, but only just.

The finish appears to be nickel plating, were these originally available with this finish or has it been done later?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Nice find Matt, as long as the price was right! There is no record of any of the Titans after the Marks 1 and 2 being available nickel plated, and this would have had a rust-blued type of finish originally.
    Cheers,
    John

Here are two I cleaned up. Thought the short barrel was an option.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

John - Thanks, that was the information I was after.
    I was wondering whether I should leave it as is or try and tidy it up and re finish.
    However the top MK6 in Baz’s image above looks very similar to mine - with the shorter barrel and what looks like the remains of a nickel finish so maybe these features of mine are not the handiwork of a previous owner?
    I’d certainly be interested to know if anyone else has one with a short barrel and nickel finish.
    I’m wondering if a bit of thick grease on the cocking mechanism and breach block threads would make it a bit more airtight so it shoots better?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Matt: it would be a real addition to our knowledge about these Titans if it could be established that a few were indeed sold with a nickelled finish, and that possibly the shorter barrel was also a feature of these guns. Two such examples would indicate a very high probability of this, three would be a clincher. It is interesting that your and Baz's guns are both the MK 6 version.

Baz: Does your pistol show traces of nickel plating?

Cheers,
    John

[QUOTE=ccdjg;8215113]Matt: it would be a real addition to our knowledge about these Titans if it could be established that a few were indeed sold with a nickelled finish, and that possibly the shorter barrel was also a feature of these guns. Two such examples would indicate a very high probability of this, three would be a clincher. It is interesting that your and Baz's guns are both the MK 6 version.

Cheers, John

John, these pistols have gone back to there owner, so cannot check, but it is easy to find out by just rubbing cold blue over the surface, it will have no effect on the nickel areas.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    [QUOTE=Benelli B76;8215175]
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Matt: it would be a real addition to our knowledge about these Titans if it could be established that a few were indeed sold with a nickelled finish, and that possibly the shorter barrel was also a feature of these guns. Two such examples would indicate a very high probability of this, three would be a clincher. It is interesting that your and Baz's guns are both the MK 6 version.

Cheers, John

John, these pistols have gone back to there owner, so cannot check, but it is easy to find out by just rubbing cold blue over the surface, it will have no effect on the nickel areas.

Baz
    That is a good tip. you would think that there is also some nickel plating left on the inside were the grips are.

I’ve tried the cold blue and it took so it appears I was mistaken and it it not nickel plated, just the some areas had survived as polished steel and rust free whilst others had deep pitting. I’ll probably clean it up a little more and rust blue it to its original colour.

Still interesting that we have at least two examples with the shortened barrels.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Still interesting that we have at least two examples with the shortened barrels.
    Brian
    Yes it would certainly be interesting to to know if these were made like this or if multiple owners decided to shorten them for whatever reason.