Thread: Is it a Venom?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is it a Venom?

Where actual provenance is unknown etc, is there any way to check if a gun is actually venom tuned by the boys themselves (without taking it apart!). Clues would be excellent blueing, set back brass trigger, brass stock screws etc etc- but a rifle might have ‘the look’ without being an authentic venom at all. I’m not aware of any official register. Any thoughts? Thanks

Nope,,,,, I have three as you describe but know for a fact they are not Venoms even though the observers say they are until i tell them, Even when i show them a real Venom they are baffled.
    Internals are the most important part of the Venom and i am sure Paul (Mach 1.5) will be along with a better explanation, You could buy any single one of the above improvements you mentioned but the internals are a different matter.
    I dont think people buy them without a picture of the internals, Ben Taylor himself of Theoben did the early Venom bluing and is quite recognizable,
    Very rarely though have i seen a Venom stock on a rifle that shouldnt be there but it happens,
    A full blown venom with everything done inc stock has eluded me and alas is now beyond my reach price wise, Pension wont afford such a luxury. Col
    Last edited by colin g; 16-03-2023 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Pension

Presumably there are Venom tuned examples in the original stocks?

Quote Originally Posted by JMH123 View Post
    Presumably there are Venom tuned examples in the original stocks?
    Of course, You paid what you could afford in those days,

Venom

The serial number on a rifle tells me alot about a so called venom, well that's if a serial number is available. The extras on the rifle should be correct of that period of course and also the sticker of the time. Yes Theoben and BSA did some blueing for a short while for Venom before they returned back to Webley. Mach 1.

Another thing to consider is when does it stop becoming a Venom rifle.
    I had a .22 HW77k venom stage one tuned, with a setback trigger and cocking grip - purchased direct from GunBarrel Ind. Estate. I used it pretty much daily and sold it on to a mate of mine, years later, when I bought my GC2 and FT shooting took over my life.
    My mate used the 77 to death and replaced the piston seal and spring time over. It was still in his collection when he sadly passed away, tens of years later.
    So the only thing remaining of a genuine Venom rifle, would be the setback trigger and the sticker.
    So even though I purchased that direct from Ivan and Dave, if someone else opened it up today ( if it still exists ), they'd be met with a non period correct piston seal ( they were grey coloured back then ), an aftermarket spring and a sticker - this would most likely be classed as just another 'fake' - but is it really fake?
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    The serial number on a rifle tells me alot about a so called venom, well that's if a serial number is available. The extras on the rifle should be correct of that period of course and also the sticker of the time. Yes Theoben and BSA did some blueing for a short while for Venom before they returned back to Webley. Mach 1.
    I had a sharp inova that was a venom but sold it unfortunately the sticker was missing and only way you could tell I was told is because it was a bull pup and very few built

Quote Originally Posted by colin g View Post
    Nope,,,,, I have three as you describe but know for a fact they are not Venoms even though the observers say they are until i tell them, Even when i show them a real Venom they are baffled.
    Internals are the most important part of the Venom and i am sure Paul (Mach 1.5) will be along with a better explanation, You could buy any single one of the above improvements you mentioned but the internals are a different matter.
    I dont think people buy them without a picture of the internals, Ben Taylor himself of Theoben did the early Venom bluing and is quite recognizable,
    Very rarely though have i seen a Venom stock on a rifle that shouldnt be there but it happens,
    A full blown venom with everything done inc stock has eluded me and alas is now beyond my reach price wise, Pension wont afford such a luxury. Col
    Agreed. I have a couple of HWs that superficially look very Venom, but aren’t (though they are still bloody good, and both now have Stage 1 kits in them). Happily they were both sold to me as customised - rather than Venom - rifles, so I didn’t get stung.

Quote Originally Posted by JMH123 View Post
    Where actual provenance is unknown etc, is there any way to check if a gun is actually venom tuned by the boys themselves (without taking it apart!). Clues would be excellent blueing, set back brass trigger, brass stock screws etc etc- but a rifle might have ‘the look’ without being an authentic venom at all. I’m not aware of any official register. Any thoughts? Thanks
    I wish there were a way to tell this. I have a highly customised Webley Tracker that is ‘suspected’ to have Venom involvement but I’ve no definitive proof of this. I’ve never taken it apart, and I’m not sure if the internals were revealed that would be “enough” to prove/disprove its possible Venom provenance. Who would decide this? It’s almost like you’d need a panel of experts like BBC’s Fake or Fortune.

I did manage to trace the maker of it’s custom stock (Gary Cane) who confirmed in writing that it was his work.

Cheers
    Greg

Venom

The green venom seals where produced around 1990 onwards up until then the guys used reworked HW seals. If seals and springs do need replacing then Venoman does carry a few Vmach spares to bring your rifle back to spec! Mach 1.5

The green venom seals where produced around 1990 onwards up until then the guys used reworked HW seals. If seals and springs do need replacing then Venoman does carry a few Vmach spares to bring your rifle back to spec! Mach 1.5
    I remember on a trip to Venom in the early 80's, Ivan showed me a black piston seal they were experimenting with.

Venom.

Black piston seal!! Every day is an education. I'll ask Mr Hancock about these when I catch up with him next. Mach 1.5

Black piston seal!! Every day is an education. I'll ask Mr Hancock about these when I catch up with him next. Mach 1.5
    I've got one here, mate ( well, the remains of one ) - black/grey colour, as mentioned in my other post. I'll bring it with me for our road trip.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation