Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is it a Venom?

Can’t seem to post a pic but will pm you both a pic and perhaps you can post? I have to say I don’t know mine is a Venom, but it’s certainly been well tuned and the Venom style silencer is a permanent fitment. It’s in .22. Didn’t know about the Sportsmatch stock- perhaps this is one? Would be good to know. I use it all the time- great little gun.

Photographs of James lovely carbine - the stock is exactly how I recall from the one my mate had all those years ago.

Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

There's a lefty 77 Venom stock on the bay atm for £900. How do you tell if it's the real deal?

Venom

Yes it's a proper venom stock. A little expensive in my view but it's proper. Mach 1.5

Thank you.

Is it a Venom?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    A Venom Relum is surely a rare bird, and kind of cool?
    got to be one of a kind i'd guess?

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    got to be one of a kind i'd guess?
    Trust me it's nothing special, certainly no wonder-gun - I don't think there's much that even the Venom team could have done with the Tornado.
    I just wanted it sorting because it was my Uncle's and very special to me.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    It had the original leather piston seal with it and the tp was at 4mm. I sleeved it down to 2.8mm and put a modern piston it it (still got the original) . What I was later told was a giveaway was that the trigger block had a steel guide threaded into it but I had already removed it and replaced it with a delrin one.
    Another HW35 modification that Venom regularly did was to replace the steel roller on the cocking linkage with one made from Nylon66, Gary --- The Nylon roller stops the Weihrauch click when cocking.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Another HW35 modification that Venom regularly did was to replace the steel roller on the cocking linkage with one made from Nylon66, Gary --- The Nylon roller stops the Weihrauch click when cocking.

All the best Mick
    I wouldn't know Mick as it was changed for a new factory standard one as it had worn just before I bought it.
    Thank you for your help.

Did any Venom stocks come with no checkering? I'm across the pond and a very reputable fella in Canada has one for sale. Has never been opened. HW77. Has the vented muzzle brake, etc and trigger. Stock looks to be European Walnut but no checkering. Varmiter stock. Serial number 1034450.
    Last edited by Beerman; 18-12-2023 at 12:34 PM.

Still trying to figure out how to insert a photo of the before mentioned airgun.

Smile

I traded a beautiful HW90 to a bloke for a HW35 that he swore was Venom tuned and blued, There was no sticker but the action dated to 1970 so it may have come off in all those years!, The blueing is still lovely and deep!

It has the O ring conversion and the anti click roller, It also has breech shims which I was told HW didn't fit to their earlier stuff (Not too sure on that though!)..

This is the rifle although I put the action in to the Luxus stock as I thought it suited it better!!

The lad used to work occasionally as a gunsmith at one of the shooting shops near the north end of Sheffield, Can't recall the name now though.

The trigger block has the remains of a 'Guarantee void if seal is broken' sticker which (Obviously!!) has been broken!

A close up of the piston conversion with a steel piston liner..

And the replacement 'silent' roller, By the way, The brown stuff is grease although it looks like rust!!

The serial number and a bit of the stock that it came in..

I also have an old HW80 that came to me in a Venom Vantage (Lefty) stock but with a HW85 4.5mm barrel fitted!, It has a strange straight trigger blade fitted, The owner told me when I bought it that they had fitted a massive Ox spring in it and it was massively powerful!

When I got it home and tried it it was horrible to shoot, there was such a massive vibration that it felt like both hands were getting an electric shock!

I removed the offending item and cut off over 2" of preload and collapsed the end then ground it flat on my linisher, I put it back together and it was like shooting a different gun alltogether!

The trigger blade.

I don't recall what the internals of this rifle were like as it was probably twenty years ago or more since I shorthened the mainspring and these days im luck if I can recall what I had for dinner yesterday!

Cheers, John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I always wondered whether my stock was original weihrauch. The gun is 1984 but I purchased it in a rough state from this forum 20 years ago. I had it reblued by someone who worked with target sports in Bolton, I refinished the stock and had it lazaglide tuned by Steve pope.
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/mihd0...slghslsbc&dl=0

Last edited by Liam; 23-12-2023 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    I always wondered whether my stock was original weihrauch. The gun is 1984 but I purchased it in a rough state from this forum 20 years ago. I had it reblued by someone who worked with target sports in Bolton, I refinished the stock and had it lazaglide tuned by Steve pope.
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/mihd0...slghslsbc&dl=0

That looks like a HW stock to me, In walnut too which I believe is pretty rare.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Another thing to consider is when does it stop becoming a Venom rifle.
    I had a .22 HW77k venom stage one tuned, with a setback trigger and cocking grip - purchased direct from GunBarrel Ind. Estate. I used it pretty much daily and sold it on to a mate of mine, years later, when I bought my GC2 and FT shooting took over my life.
    My mate used the 77 to death and replaced the piston seal and spring time over. It was still in his collection when he sadly passed away, tens of years later.
    So the only thing remaining of a genuine Venom rifle, would be the setback trigger and the sticker.
    So even though I purchased that direct from Ivan and Dave, if someone else opened it up today ( if it still exists ), they'd be met with a non period correct piston seal ( they were grey coloured back then ), an aftermarket spring and a sticker - this would most likely be classed as just another 'fake' - but is it really fake?

Triggers broom comes to mind
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive