Thread: For Sale BSA & Mco Snider carbine

For Sale BSA & Mco Snider carbine

This is gun I bought online in New Zealand to try out my brandnew NZ FAC. I regularly attended a 2 day major auction in Wellington from which I’d regularly bought air rifles. On the first day there was always a policeman in attendance. He turned out to be the main man in the capital, regarding firearms. I explained the UK’s Obsolete Calibres Law (no equivalent there) and asked if it would be feasible for me to obtain an FAC for the purchase and export of said arms. At this time ( Precovid ) I was going on buying trips there twice yearly so I had everything set up in advance of my next trip ( details available if anybody is interested. It was very simple and almost amusing ).During the first 5 days of my subsequent trip I’s sat the exam and had a home visit ( the mate I always lodge with ) and my licence turned up in due course.

That’s the backstory :- this is the weapon. Dated 1875 it is a 2 band carbine ( 19” barrel, not quite full stocked 4” short). It has lots of stamps including the point-to-point broad arrows and that of Hazards, a well-known Auckland gunsmith. The woodwork has no cracks or splits but reflects that it is almost halfway through it’s second century. It is sighted out to 800 yards but I think the realistic range was nearer 600. With a bullet the size of the first joint on my index finger the trajectory must have been that of a rainbow. The collector I bought it from said he’d never fired it but the previous owner to him had. Of course that is purely background. Everything feels right about, really crisp. I’ve never been able to post photos on here but will be happy to send them to a supplied email address.

It can be seen, by appointment, at my home 9 miles NE of Doncaster and, ideally, collected from there. My only experience of posting guns is limited to NZ so I require advice.

Asking price £450.
    ATB, Mick

Mods. As you”ll have realised I’m a long way out of my depth and comfort zone. If I’ve transgressed in any way please accept my apology and take appropriate action.
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Photos would be nice

Greenshoots

Quote Originally Posted by Sharps1874 View Post
    Photos would be nice

Greenshoots
    Indeed, that’s why it says what it does at the end of the second paragraph. Send me an email address and I’ll fire some photos off to you.

ATB, Mick

met up with Mick today to buy the very nice old snider,real nice chap and certainly a kindred spirit.had a chat as us old fellers do.nice to meet you Mick,hope you get rid of that cold soon,cheers kevin
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    met up with Mick today to buy the very nice old snider,real nice chap and certainly a kindred spirit.had a chat as us old fellers do.nice to meet you Mick,hope you get rid of that cold soon,cheers kevin
    Very kind of you to say, Kevin. I’d come in here because I realised I couldn’t remember your username For much the same reason - I’d thorougly enjoyed all aspects of the deal. Not so much lost my Snider but gained a friend. Ring any time, if it’s only for a chat, but especially if you find another major punt gun for sale.

All the best, Mick