Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cobra Strike Magnum

Cobra Strike Magnum

Here's a rare one.

I'm after a valuation for a pristine boxed Cobra Strike Magnum that looks to be as good as it gets.

I recall handling the rifle at a Kempton fair a few years ago and took a couple of snaps at the time, linked below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/v1CP1NBcdCn9DSNb8

Does anyone know of a similar rifle offered for sale recently?

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Cobra

My best mate has got one, boxed.. exactly the same... but no idea how much they are worth. Got to be at least £500+ due to rarity ?

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I bought one in extremely good condition with no box in 2021 for 400.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Thank you both, that is really useful.

Any more?

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

Cobra

Will it and it's owner be at the next Kempton Arms Fair?

Yeah ball park 450+ easy peasy .
    I seem to remember the snake killer .25 version? Am i correct?

Honest enquiry - I've never heard of these, but it looks like a fairly unremarkable break barrel, what's the attraction from a collectors point of view?

Quote Originally Posted by hookerball View Post
    Yeah ball park 450+ easy peasy .
    I seem to remember the snake killer .25 version? Am i correct?
    'tis indeed. The Camilleri marketed break barrel air rifle.

The Cobra Strike was a BSA Mercury fitted with a .25 calibre barrel. The stock was painted black and was embossed with a striking Cobra logo.

John

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Will it and it's owner be at the next Kempton Arms Fair?
    Unlikely - I don't believe so.

I feel sure the Cobra Stike was the first post war .25 air rifle. Although it was only .243 as they used Winchester mandrels to make the barrels and so only 6.17 mm.....most .25 pellets are 6.35mm and are tight.
    I use Marksman and with their high lead cont they go through a .243 pellet sizer easily.
    Mine is currently doing 11.6 ft lbs.....not bad for an old Mercury !

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeymoo View Post
    I feel sure the Cobra Stike was the first post war .25 air rifle. Although it was only .243 as they used Winchester mandrels to make the barrels and so only 6.17 mm.....most .25 pellets are 6.35mm and are tight.
    I use Marksman and with their high lead cont they go through a .243 pellet sizer easily.
    Mine is currently doing 11.6 ft lbs.....not bad for an old Mercury !
    No it was not !.

Manchester Airguns developed the MAG Mercury Magnum which was a BSA Mercury Mk 3 available with .177. .20, 22, .25 barrels in 1979 / 1980.

The .20 and .25 barrels were opened up from .177 and .22 barrels by Gerald Cardew.

BSA themselves offered the . 25 BSA 635 Mercury around 1988. They also then started offering other models with a .25 option
    barrel.

M&G offered the model 45 in .20 and HW had .20 and .25 barrel options to special order in the early 1980's.

I have just read a gun test on the Cobra by Geoffrey Boxall in Airgunner (July 1985).
    Gerald Cardew also comments on the Cobra barrels and from what he says it is very clear that he himself had nothing to do making the barrels.
    He may have done some for MAG but that was a seperate project.
    I have pics of the test but absolutely no idea how to upload them. If anyone else can I can email or whatsapp them to you.
    M.

sounds like a nice gun

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeymoo View Post
    I have just read a gun test on the Cobra by Geoffrey Boxall in Airgunner (July 1985).
    Gerald Cardew also comments on the Cobra barrels and from what he says it is very clear that he himself had nothing to do making the barrels.
    He may have done some for MAG but that was a seperate project.
    I have pics of the test but absolutely no idea how to upload them. If anyone else can I can email or whatsapp them to you.
    M.
    He distanced himself , as I understand it, from the Camilleri offering as these barrels were only rifled for about 12" of their length

I have a feeling that there was another .25" Mercury on sale at about the same time as the MAG and Cobra, but I'm buggered if I can remember it's name ?