Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A tarted up titan rifle

Finally had a bit of time to have a look at the rifle probe issue today and got my other titan out and measured both probes and they are 5.9mm. The problem with this one is the hole for the probe is 6.3mm and looks to have had a far too aggressive “polish” and it’s oversized now and the probe wobbles around in there.

So the plan is to ream out the existing hole and make a oversized custom probe. Whilst I’m doing this I’m thinking about some kind of plug for the screw hole to aid loading. The big question is how the barrel is fixed to the breech any ideas? I can ream it on the lathe with barrel attached but would be easier to have it all apart.
    Watch this space.

barrels are glued in
    warm ovr a gas ring till the glue softens then twist and pull and they come out
    last one i refitted i glued in with bearing fit epoxy

Brilliant thanks for that, should not be too hard to do then.

Could you.......
    a) button the bolt?
    b) ream and sleeve the breech to fit the bolt?
    c) sleeve the bolt to fit the breech (could some rings of thin heat shrink tube on the bolt act like bearings)?
    Just some idle musings, none of which I have used.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

A tarted up titan rifle

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I only had the article to hand because the gun was shown stripped and it had the Titan target trigger in it, which on comparison is definitely the trigger I have in both of my Mohawks, Tone.

As the trigger cage can break if you don't take care when reassembling the gun I've bought three spare ones --- just in case like.

All the best Mick
    I had the 25" sporter as my first pcp, just bought newly restored 19" manitou with a broken trigger cage, came with a new one made by ped so I fitted that & just repaired the old one with a small L bracket & araldite as as a spare. Was playing with it this afternoon & bashing tins out to 60 yards easily, just as accurate as my first one which was also .177. Easy to see how folk break the cage lug off when reassembling by not cocking it when tightning the screws evenly, which was a pita with only two hands at 3am.....

A tarted up titan rifle

Quote Originally Posted by rovercoupe View Post
    Finally had a bit of time to have a look at the rifle probe issue today and got my other titan out and measured both probes and they are 5.9mm. The problem with this one is the hole for the probe is 6.3mm and looks to have had a far too aggressive “polish” and it’s oversized now and the probe wobbles around in there.

So the plan is to ream out the existing hole and make a oversized custom probe. Whilst I’m doing this I’m thinking about some kind of plug for the screw hole to aid loading. The big question is how the barrel is fixed to the breech any ideas? I can ream it on the lathe with barrel attached but would be easier to have it all apart.
    Watch this space.
    That hole & the small breech are my only complaints about them, had a few supermags fall backwards into the breech yesterday on mine, think i found a small black plastic plug from something that i filed a groove in for the bolt clearance on my first titan, was thinking of filling it with hot glue as easy to remove. worse in the .177's though.

By Junglie
    "Easy to see how folk break the cage lug off when reassembling by not cocking it when tightning the screws evenly, which was a pita with only two hands at 3am....."

Unscrew the back cap and hammer spring adjuster so there is no tension on hammer spring. Pull hammer back as far as possible and then attach trigger block with no fear of breaking the lugs.

Quote Originally Posted by rovercoupe View Post

Watch this space.
    What calibre is it.It sounds from your description as if it is a .177" but fitted into a .22" breechblock that someone has reamed out to 1/4"

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post

Unscrew the back cap and hammer spring adjuster so there is no tension on hammer spring. Pull hammer back as far as possible and then attach trigger block with no fear of breaking the lugs.

I just hold the trigger in the fire position now when fitting the cage.

i use Micks mthod if rplacing on a gun that ha the power set to sav me taking xtra time to rset it but if on a full rebuild i assemble th trigger block with the rear cap off

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I just hold the trigger in the fire position now when fitting the cage.
    Mr Junglie says he needs three hands. I am not going to be the one to ask him about his nocturnal habits

It could be a .22 on a .177 platform as my .22 bolt is exactly the same size (5.9mm)

I could live with it if it was reamed properly but it has a varying diameter from back of the block to front so needs taking off and doing properly and then I have the tools to make a new bolt so think that’s the best option for now.

If anyone knows if the .177 bolt/ breech are a different size to the .22?

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    I had the 25" sporter as my first pcp, just bought newly restored 19" manitou with a broken trigger cage, came with a new one made by ped so I fitted that & just repaired the old one with a small L bracket & araldite as as a spare. Was playing with it this afternoon & bashing tins out to 60 yards easily, just as accurate as my first one which was also .177. Easy to see how folk break the cage lug off when reassembling by not cocking it when tightning the screws evenly, which was a pita with only two hands at 3am.....
    Looking again at the trigger setup :-

image.jpeg

If you screwed the rear adjustment screw right in so that the sears couldn't touch, then you wouldn't have to mess about pulling the hammer or trigger back when fitting the cage.

All the best Mick

to fit the trigger Mick you hav to remove the two adjusters to get access th the fixing screws

Lovely guns