Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Meteor hinge pin with Bolt

That is neat. Superb lateral thinking.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Could this be made to fit.

It's might where is that from?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    Every Diana BB hinge bolt from the 24 to the most powerful N-Tec, look on Chambers

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Every Diana BB hinge bolt from the 24 to the most powerful N-Tec, look on Chambers
    Thankyou Barry. Tomorrow I shall do some tinkering with the Merc S bolt If it's too short I shall look into that, Cheers

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    It's Barry - you had to ask ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Many moons ago in Sporting Air Rifle, a chap showed how he drilled and taped the ends of a BSA breech pin at 3 mm or 4 mm and fitted countersunk bolts into the ends of the bolt.

The trick is to alter the pin length in order to get the bolts to lock onto the end of the pin just as the bolt head nips the jaws tight.

All the best Mick
    A good idea, and if you cut the pin a tad too short, you could make small shims to adjust the length.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Could this be made to fit.

Been thinking along those lines.. It resembles the idea Mick references.

But the guns I have that have fitted with oversize pins without any clamping methods work well if they are used carefully, so I've stopped there.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Many moons ago in Sporting Air Rifle, a chap showed how he drilled and taped the ends of a BSA breech pin at 3 mm or 4 mm and fitted countersunk bolts into the ends of the bolt.

The trick is to alter the pin length in order to get the bolts to lock onto the end of the pin just as the bolt head nips the jaws tight.

All the best Mick
    I did something similar Mick, I drilled the hinge pin the whole way through to take a Diana 34 type bolt and adjusted the pin length accordingly and countersunk both sides of the breachjaws then put a chamfer on the nut and bolt to match, works perfectly, this also works on the Webley hawk/Vulcan jaws.
    Regards Graham. Ah just noticed I’ve been beaten to the punch with this one!😊👍🏻
    Last edited by Papa g; 19-03-2023 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Didn’t notice the same information already given

If the objective is to prevent correctly fitting jaws opening up rather than using a bolt to close them & tightenn up a poor fit then the idea of capping a correctly fitting pin might be the most appropriate idea. An elegant solution if no great corrective compressive force is required.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    If the objective is to prevent correctly fitting jaws opening up rather than using a bolt to close them & tightenn up a poor fit then the idea of capping a correctly fitting pin might be the most appropriate idea. An elegant solution if no great corrective compressive force is required.
    yes, and that should be "enough".. classic 80% of the benefit for 20% of the effort...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

That is neat. Superb lateral thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    A good idea, and if you cut the pin a tad too short, you could make small shims to adjust the length.

Thinking on this, the article in SAR was written nearly 40 years ago and engineering technology has moved on a bit since then, we now regularly use Smurf Juice, Monkey Blood and Gorilla Snot on fasteners to lock them in place.

If you cut the pin a tad too short, you could fit one screw in one end with low strength blue loctite and assemble the gun, then fit the other screw with Red or Green high strength loctite, and adjust the pin as required.
    Once the loctite has cured you'll have a solid, adjusted pin that can still be undone from the blue loctited end if needed.

All the best Mick

A couple weeks ago I bought another Meteor... a mk4 this time. The mk3 is quite common here in Norway, but the mk4 seems to be scarcer (I only had two ;-) ). The gun had not seen very much use, and just needed a new buffer and breech seal to perform well. In fact, the O-ring was still quite good, and the spring was straight and seems to be in good condition.

Anyway, the gun had tight jaws, and locks up really well, and in my experience they stay that way if not abused. A light slap on the barrel to unlock, and then cocking without causing sideways stress on the jaws ensures long life.
    I understand the urge for "improvements", but the old Meteors can perform well just the way they were made if you set them up properly and dont abuse them...
    Too many airguns!

That is a good point, as the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it unless of course you want to conduct an experiment.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Trouble is they are a cheap gun made of cheaper with a high lead content. I wore mine out in just 4 years & by the end was squashing the barrel jaws in a vice every week. If you wanted to fill the jaws solid you could inject Body filler from a syringe Or you could buy a gun with properly engineered barrel jaws & cylinder like a Relum taurus!

I have to say that I have not noticed that in most of my small collection including my Mk4 bought in 1975 and probably fired 10'000 plus times is still tight.
    My Mk1 feels slightly loose but it's still in reasonable shape and as old as me.
    Only today I added a Mk3 and that feels totally tight.
    This thread is about options to improve the venerable Meteor's lock up.

If it bugged me I would stick to my 99 but it doesn't and some of the solutions have been truly impressive.