Thread: Bsa mercury mk2

Bsa mercury mk2

Morning all. Quick question for the experts. Apon stripping and cleaning the mercury (low power issues) I noticed the piston head on was a plastic/nylon head with a leather buffer. New one I ordered is a alloy head with a plastic/nylon buffer. Is this just how they are made now? Or did I order wrong set? Thanks all. Kind regards Lee.

Bsa mercury mk2

Quote Originally Posted by Leepelletb View Post
    Morning all. Quick question for the experts. Apon stripping and cleaning the mercury (low power issues) I noticed the piston head on was a plastic/nylon head with a leather buffer. New one I ordered is a alloy head with a plastic/nylon buffer. Is this just how they are made now? Or did I order wrong set? Thanks all. Kind regards Lee.
    the nylon ones swelled through incorrect lubrication so were discontinued, i used the right size tap washer as buffer as the buffer washers break up with age too.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    the nylon ones swelled through incorrect lubrication so were discontinued, i used the right size tap washer as buffer as the buffer washers break up with age too.
    Thanks handy to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Leepelletb View Post
    The Nylon head was discontinued a long time ago, so the alloy head is the correct one for sub 12 ftlbs, there's also a steel head available for FAC use.
    Even with the alloy head you'll probably still find the Meteor sized O ring will be a better fit as it offers less crush and friction.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Even with the alloy head you'll probably still find the Meteor sized O ring will be a better fit as it offers less crush and friction.

All the best Mick
    Meteor O ring = BS 210, Mercury / Airsporter = BS212

Cheers, Phil

Mercury

Thanks all

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    The Nylon head was discontinued a long time ago, so the alloy head is the correct one for sub 12 ftlbs, there's also a steel head available for FAC use.

All the best Mick
    Totally correct, Meteor O ring is far better.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Bsa

Ordered the service kit yesterday ordered the meteor o ring this afternoon. 👍