Thread: Holts auction

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella

Holts auction

Just had a peek at the auction prices realised so far on Holts auction, £650 for a Webley Mk3 deluxe with factory chequering, thats £845 after fees,
    A .25 Bsa underlever made £2900. You got to really want them to pay those prices.

holts.

Yes indeed some good prices paid at auction, and like said stick the commission on that ,25 BSA and that makes it around £3770. The buyer certainly wanted that one. Still very interesting to watch and price the guns on offer.

Same old story really. The exotic guns go silly, very likely to foreign buyers, whilst the lesser items are 'standard' money or even really good value - ie boxed Webley pistols. I guess most collectors who want a very good one of these have one, so the market is probably fairly saturated?

An as new in the box example however may bring out the 'next level' of buyer, and see the price increase disproportionately however?

As am matter of interest that .25 was sold back in 1986 I think it was, by Dennis Hiller, for £500. I remember people saying then how expensive it was! That figure equates to around £1,420 today, and how I would have loved to have bought that .25 for that sum today!

Some good prices reached today, Terry Doe`s old rifle fetched £2300 + com but the Webley tempest Centenary £550 + com. Owner must be happy with that.
    Beggers belief what some people want to pay sometimes. Col.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    And yet prices of some stuff has fallen horribly, A year ago there was a Charles lancaster tubelock 4 bore muzzleloader on there, cased. It was utterly magnificent & had an estimate of 12 - 16k, failed to make its reserve & iirc someone bid just over 7k on the auction of unsold lots & it wasnt sold. That very gun sold at bonhams 25 years ago for 34k. A lady i know sold her late husbands best english sidelocks last year & they realised far less than he had thought them worth.
    English boxlocks are now cheap as chips (or cheaper).
    My old spanish sxs is now a piece of scrap iron as far as value goes, Aah well!

Three .25 Imp Mod D rifles have sold at Kempton over the last 5 for less than half that figure.

I might scout around next Sunday 2nd

That chequering looks a bit dodgy on the Mk3.....nothing like the pattern in Thrale's book....also not sure if it was an option on series 7 rifles (unless they took special requests)

I have a BSA .25 you can have for £1,500 collected and avoid any buyer premiums!

My late father’s pride and joy.

Michael
    Too many Airguns and Pistols
    Beretta 682 Sporter, and Skeet

I thought the Bsa Masonic Schools presentation rifle was an excellent buy, as was the Haenel Junior, but as often the case in auctions,the high bidder may have just kept going
    Last edited by silva; 20-03-2023 at 10:07 PM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I have a BSA .25 you can have for £1,500 collected and avoid any buyer premiums!

My late father’s pride and joy.

Michael
    Hi Michael - have sent you a message. Would be interested if still available. Paul M.