Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plinking: Blanks vs Reactives vs ?

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones

Plinking: Blanks vs Reactives vs ?

I guess I'm putting this under plinking, but looking at the contact area it seems to be as difficult as chasing tight groups.

Using a springer, so this must be orders of magnitude more difficult than using a modern PCP.

So far plinking all the way past 50 yards, aluminium cans have been fun, clays just kind of disintegrated, plastic bottles made the best sound. Thinking to reign in much closer, and look for greater accuracy. Maybe 25yd.

I was asking about reactive targets in the gun shop, and they also suggested a box of blanks and a bottle holder.

What are people's experience setting up reactives vs blanks?

Any other options short of trebor mints or ice cubes?

Plinking targets

For plinking in my back garden I use white blackboard chalk, it's cheap and explodes into white dust in a most satisfactory way. I break each piece into four and stand on end in front of the back stop.

Over the years I've treated myself to various knock downs, spinners & resting types. Expensive maybe but they last & have a resale value. A
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

6mm blanks do go with a snap.

Nail gun blanks go with a bang.

9mm blanks are very loud.

Firebirds are expensive but great fun.

I have in the past set up "things" on bonfire night. Good excuse.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Paintballs are quite good fun and cheap

A plastic pop bottle with 90+ psi in it makes a fair boom when hit , Put one in a small carboard box with a target stuck on the outside and get some unsuspecting soul to shoot is and it shreds the box, The reuseable bottle caps are available on aliexpress for a few quid for ten.

i use bits of chalk great fun

Plaster LEGO men are good fun, especially in slow motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfpx0Jq6EME

extra strong mints work well and when you get fed up you can eat them

I use shotgun primers as they are a lot cheaper than blanks and you get a big flash was paying 4 quid a hundred
    Waveneyshootingclub.org

Quote Originally Posted by big rob View Post
    I use shotgun primers as they are a lot cheaper than blanks and you get a big flash was paying 4 quid a hundred

Primers
    5.16 The Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 introduced controls on the purchase and
    sale of cap-type primers designed for use in metallic ammunition for a firearm,
    including empty cartridge cases incorporating such a primer. Section 35 of the 2006
    Act makes it an offence to sell these items unless the purchaser:
    a) is a registered dealer;
    b) sells by way of any trade or business either primers or empty cartridge cases
    incorporating primers;
    c) produces a certificate (the original, not a photocopy) authorising them to
    possess a firearm of a relevant kind (i.e. a firearm other than a shot gun, an air
    weapon or a firearm chambered for rim-fire ammunition) or ammunition for such
    a firearm;
    d) is a duly authorised Crown servant;
    e) shows that they are entitled in law to possess a firearm or ammunition of a
    relevant kind without a certificate;
    f) produces a certificate (the original, not a photocopy) authorising another person
    to possess such a firearm, or such ammunition, together with that other person’s
    authority to purchase primers on their behalf; or
    g) shows that they are authorised by regulations to purchase primers. To date no
    such regulations have been made.
    Section 35 also makes it an offence to buy, or attempt to buy, primers unless the
    purchaser meets the same criteria.
    The definitions used in section 35 mean that the offences do not apply to the
    purchase or sale of blank ammunition, shot gun primers or to percussion caps for
    muzzle-loading firearms.

So, I am assuming that shotgun primers could be purchased off-ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by nishijin View Post
    So, I am assuming that shotgun primers could be purchased off-ticket?
    Correct. As shotgun primers are not for metallic ammunition, you don't need to show a certificate to purchase 209/shotgun primers or percussion caps (all types). I can imagine that changing before long, and certain gunshops are being pro-active and won't sell them unless you do present your ticket.

So far I still haven't made it to buying some noisy targets, but I bought a box of chalk sticks and agree it's a good value option.

Lazy pigeonshit fluxcore tacks to each penny washer, and folded a couple ends to make it stand upright. Easy to set up, easy to remove.

Spent shotgun cartridges are my favourite bit of noise and some great movement when hit just right

Couple of quids worth of petrol in a tray underneath any reactive target boosts performance - or so Im told...
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation