Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BSA piston circlip removal - argh *&^%*^&%*%*&^^%^%*....any tips?

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    ALL of your ideas are superior to what they actually went with

I'm going to try a machine vice and picks to see if I can beat it....if not then the dremel beckons...weaken the midpoint of the circlip and break the bugger off.
    I have a spare one and even a spare piston head lol

its tempting to just buy a new carrier and assemble all new spares then sell the original unit on fleabay and let it drive someone else mad...grrrr
    Gun control means using both hands.

Before going too drastic I suggest you try the method I outlined, Doug.
    I've used it several times successfully.

wooo hoo success....the 'wedge ur thumb in the gap left by the missing buffer' and lever away till you win works
    circlip is somewhere in the room I care not where ...fortunately I havea spare..

all sorted..wow what a PITA

Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post
    wooo hoo success....the 'wedge ur thumb in the gap left by the missing buffer' and lever away till you win works
    circlip is somewhere in the room I care not where ...fortunately I havea spare..

Happy days Well done
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

That PING ping ping ping ting ….as that bleedin circlip orbitted the room was music and joy to my ears.
    It will likely turn up when i tidy at the weekend but if it doesnt then c’est la vie and i can live with it lol.
    nearly did a backflip in pure joy 🤩

The message here is undertake a bugger sorrry buffer change on a bsa with these stoopid circlip retained pistons at immense peril to your mental health

I do the same thing with Airsporter tap index ball bearings and never see them again. there is a name for this, Ping phuket.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post

Your joy is almost tangible!

Now its appart do you think you might modify it so it doesn't adversely effect your nerves should you ever be faced with having to repeat the procedure? Or have you selected a non swelling, binding disintegrating buffer material?

Im hoping that now new buffers rings and breech seals are installed, i wont need to go back inside for anything other than the occasional lube refresh.
    in buffer cheese …whomsoever did the material selection for the original buffer and breech seals needs to be tortured relentlessly with hot needles

I'm about to carry out the same process on my Scorpion which has been waiting for the treatment for 3 years..... I'm starting to think that maybe threading the piston head and fixing it with a nut might be in order.

Once the piston is off your troubles are pretty much over relatively speaking.
    Modern buffer material wont degrade like the original stuff and you can change oring etc without removing the piston.
    Its a pita to do but once done then thats it not to be repeated 8-)

I see someone is advertising what looks to be an early piston carrier on trashbay for a bargain £25 or £15 for a later style from knibbs

Build a whole new unit and sell the old one on trashbay and likely not lose much on the whole thing…while retaining your sanity

The clip in question is a square section wire loop. I used a slightly ground down electricians screw driver, pushed into the split to spread it, then lift off the center pin vertically.
    I found I could put it back the same way, with a silent hoopla.
    I was recommended to replace it with a proper relevantly sized spring washer, I think by Ggggr? Thanks for that, but after doing it a few times it isn't a problem once you have the knack. Hoopla.

As an aside, any alternative to the BSA ring washer thing would probably be an improvement. Its difficult to see how it could be worse.

Update..... taking the clip off was incredibly easy; I think I spent more time putting the clamp onto the piston and tightening it up than I did trying to remove it. Putting the new one on, however, took me the best part of 45 minutes. I'll have to test the power this weekend to see how it is performing; it shoots remarkably well, from my initial testing.

pleased for you it came off easily...mine weren't so helpful.

replacement should be easy enough by turning up a little brass or nylon tool on a lathe to evenly push the circlip onto the piston shaft.

Do what Troubledshooter said.....

The method that Troubledshooter described is the only way to remove without damaging the whole unit. I've done countless Scorpions etc. and his method works every time.
    Sorry ...looks like I'm a bit late again.......