Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA piston circlip removal - argh *&^%*^&%*%*&^^%^%*....any tips?

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close

BSA piston circlip removal - argh *&^%*^&%*%*&^^%^%*....any tips?

ok so I have 3 scorpion pistols.... all of which had the jammed buffer issue which everyone who knows 70s/80s BSA is familiar with....the old buffers came out like congealed plastic sawdust

I've managed to sort two of the three pistols now but removing the circlip on the last piston is driving me nuts...there has to be an easier way to do this..

anyone got any insider tips on how this can be done without further hairloss?
    Gun control means using both hands.

Dental pick?

had another go....I'm starting to thing large Axe

If its a ' circlip' circlip then the holes at the end & circlip pliers, but if it's a spring ring like you'd find on an automotive piston then there's nowt to get hold of. They are usually done by pushing one side of the ring & inserting a shim to stop the ring going back in the groove when you let go. Press 1/3 of the way round & pop a shim in, repeat at the next 1/3 way round, pop two in here. Wiggle the shims around so that they are at 12 o' clock, 3,6 &9 as opposed to 12,4 & 8.
    The shims should allow the ring to be lifted off.

Shims can be thin feeler gauge leafs, plastic from milk bottles/ packaging or strips from tin/ aluminium cans but watch out they can be like razors.

Never seen a Scorpion in bits so this might not be the way to go, rings can be brittle so flexing or twisting them can snap them........

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    If its a ' circlip' circlip then the holes at the end & circlip pliers, but if it's a spring ring like you'd find on an automotive piston then there's nowt to get hold of. They are usually done by pushing one side of the ring & inserting a shim to stop the ring going back in the groove when you let go. Press 1/3 of the way round & pop a shim in, repeat at the next 1/3 way round, pop two in here. Wiggle the shims around so that they are at 12 o' clock, 3,6 &9 as opposed to 12,4 & 8.
    The shims should allow the ring to be lifted off.

Shims can be thin feeler gauge leafs, plastic from milk bottles/ packaging or strips from tin/ aluminium cans but watch out they can be like razors.

Never seen a Scorpion in bits so this might not be the way to go, rings can be brittle so flexing or twisting them can snap them........

Good luck
    If I'm reading you correctly you have the piston out and want to get the head off. I used two of those tiny watch makers screwdrivers and dug into the retaining ring where it splits then tried to get the other behind the ring and prized it out.
    Then I stopped swearing.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

yep sadly its the spring ring type nasty little burger

I have some jewelers screwdrivers which are being abused somewhat on this
    what makes it awkward is the bleedin circlip is at the bottom of the piston carrier with only the cocking slot to access through.
    As you try to lever one side the other side moves round ....out of sight of the slot....the gap in the circlip is tiny which doesn't help....and it has no 'ears' to grab hold of
    what needed is 3-4 hands ...one or two to stop the dang think rotating and the other 2 to leverl the ends up and prevent return

no danger of getting circlip pliers in to this little space even if they would have a fine enough point (grrr) what an unfriendly design

I have done a few of these, but not for some while.
    If I remember correctly, one has to force the piston head away from the piston so the clip is tight against the piston, then after one has teased one end of the clip from it's groove with the aid of a screwdriver or other fine object, work the screwdriver round the clip until it's totally clear of it's groove. One can then push the head clear of the piston, but don't loose the clip in the process.
    I have three such Scorpions and a Buccaneer waiting to be done at present, but haven't been able to raise the enthusiasm over the last eighteen months or so.

The circlip removal is the absolute worst part

Stripping the scorp down is nice and straightforward
    Removing the stuck piston which i was really worried about turns out to be pretty easy ( at least on the 3 Ive done)
    Removal method is a 10mm diameter brass bar say 8” long inserted into the cocking slot then place rear of pistol main tube on a leather pad and hit the brass bar downwards gently with a mallet. Easy extraction on all three.

Buffer comes out as a nasty mess of confetti

Circlip on piston….good luck…looks easy but isnt.

Sigh

Not familiar with this application but in other similar set ups the ring/groove is designed so the ring can be compressed in its groove enough to pass through the hole as a unit.
    If this is the case with the Scorpion a snug fit tube, on the guide, pushed onto/over the ring will do it.

I shall give this a try and report back….if it works wonderful as picking away at it like this is a recipe for madness

The circlip will not compress enough as the groove is not deep enough. That would be too easy.

Consider drilling an access hole opposite the cocking slot so pressure on the circlip from that side may allow enough exposed ring to be lifted????

This sounds a really horrid thing to have to fiddle around with. Never seen one but inbetween attempts at it if you fancy a break & have a camera handy I'd be interested in seeing what you are faced with. Wonder how they wrote a method up in the service guide for dealers or if they left them to their own devices?
    Best of luck with it.......any chance holding one end of the clip back, preventing it rotating while wedging something under the other end even though the hap is small?

There are pictures of the piston head and ring on the Airgun spares web site go to https://www.airgunspares.com/gunspar...w-trooper.html.
    Hope this link works.
    I had one of these set ups in my Mk4 meteor and my scorpion, you've got to hold the piston head still while trying to pick the ring loose then lever it out far easier said than done.

I think I ended up clamping the head up against the piston with the sash clamp I use to compress springs. Once the head could no longer spin round I could use both hands to winkle the ends of the split ring out and push it back until it came off the end of the piston head. A pick would have helped.
    I recall using the sash clamp on reassembly to squash the new buffer washer enough to slide the ring down the shaft into place. That was a two handed/screwdriver job.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

That looks awkward.......makes you wonder...?..thread the piston head & pop a nut on it from inside the piston, cross pin the piston head, or just cut the old buffer off split a new one & jam it in between the piston & piston head, modify piston for a keyhole like some Meteors

Horrid design. Mind you maybe some of my ideas aren't much better