Thread: BSA piston circlip removal - argh *&^%*^&%*%*&^^%^%*....any tips?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close

BSA piston circlip removal - argh *&^%*^&%*%*&^^%^%*....any tips?

ok so I have 3 scorpion pistols.... all of which had the jammed buffer issue which everyone who knows 70s/80s BSA is familiar with....the old buffers came out like congealed plastic sawdust

I've managed to sort two of the three pistols now but removing the circlip on the last piston is driving me nuts...there has to be an easier way to do this..

anyone got any insider tips on how this can be done without further hairloss?
    Gun control means using both hands.

Dental pick?

had another go....I'm starting to thing large Axe

If its a ' circlip' circlip then the holes at the end & circlip pliers, but if it's a spring ring like you'd find on an automotive piston then there's nowt to get hold of. They are usually done by pushing one side of the ring & inserting a shim to stop the ring going back in the groove when you let go. Press 1/3 of the way round & pop a shim in, repeat at the next 1/3 way round, pop two in here. Wiggle the shims around so that they are at 12 o' clock, 3,6 &9 as opposed to 12,4 & 8.
    The shims should allow the ring to be lifted off.

Shims can be thin feeler gauge leafs, plastic from milk bottles/ packaging or strips from tin/ aluminium cans but watch out they can be like razors.

Never seen a Scorpion in bits so this might not be the way to go, rings can be brittle so flexing or twisting them can snap them........

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    If its a ' circlip' circlip then the holes at the end & circlip pliers, but if it's a spring ring like you'd find on an automotive piston then there's nowt to get hold of. They are usually done by pushing one side of the ring & inserting a shim to stop the ring going back in the groove when you let go. Press 1/3 of the way round & pop a shim in, repeat at the next 1/3 way round, pop two in here. Wiggle the shims around so that they are at 12 o' clock, 3,6 &9 as opposed to 12,4 & 8.
    The shims should allow the ring to be lifted off.

Shims can be thin feeler gauge leafs, plastic from milk bottles/ packaging or strips from tin/ aluminium cans but watch out they can be like razors.

Never seen a Scorpion in bits so this might not be the way to go, rings can be brittle so flexing or twisting them can snap them........

Good luck
    If I'm reading you correctly you have the piston out and want to get the head off. I used two of those tiny watch makers screwdrivers and dug into the retaining ring where it splits then tried to get the other behind the ring and prized it out.
    Then I stopped swearing.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

yep sadly its the spring ring type nasty little burger

I have some jewelers screwdrivers which are being abused somewhat on this
    what makes it awkward is the bleedin circlip is at the bottom of the piston carrier with only the cocking slot to access through.
    As you try to lever one side the other side moves round ....out of sight of the slot....the gap in the circlip is tiny which doesn't help....and it has no 'ears' to grab hold of
    what needed is 3-4 hands ...one or two to stop the dang think rotating and the other 2 to leverl the ends up and prevent return

no danger of getting circlip pliers in to this little space even if they would have a fine enough point (grrr) what an unfriendly design