Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
If its a ' circlip' circlip then the holes at the end & circlip pliers, but if it's a spring ring like you'd find on an automotive piston then there's nowt to get hold of. They are usually done by pushing one side of the ring & inserting a shim to stop the ring going back in the groove when you let go. Press 1/3 of the way round & pop a shim in, repeat at the next 1/3 way round, pop two in here. Wiggle the shims around so that they are at 12 o' clock, 3,6 &9 as opposed to 12,4 & 8.
The shims should allow the ring to be lifted off.

Shims can be thin feeler gauge leafs, plastic from milk bottles/ packaging or strips from tin/ aluminium cans but watch out they can be like razors.

Never seen a Scorpion in bits so this might not be the way to go, rings can be brittle so flexing or twisting them can snap them........

Good luck
If I'm reading you correctly you have the piston out and want to get the head off. I used two of those tiny watch makers screwdrivers and dug into the retaining ring where it splits then tried to get the other behind the ring and prized it out.
Then I stopped swearing.