Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley mk3 valuation

Webley mk3 valuation

Comes with sling mounts, leather sling & canvas case

Foresight hood still present, serial number 41064 (4th 5th series?) Curved tap loader with knurling not straight

Any ideas on value?
    Last edited by Lee5159; 21-03-2023 at 06:02 PM.

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    this SO needs pictures for any meaningful input
    Gun control means using both hands.

Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post
    this SO needs pictures for any meaningful input
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/95291745@N05/

I have an almost identical Mk3 with the same fittings and a PH16M peep sight.

If this were mine, I'd probably ask around £275.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Nice walnut stock!

I also have something similar with PH peep sight but fitted with broad (2") web sling rather than leather and I think it might be worth £250+.

Aubrey

Thanks for the info on value folks, much appreciated

Do you think It's a 4th or 5th series, I think 5th series had the horrible square tap?

With foresight hood & no peep sight could it be a transitional before they introduced super target?

I've heard the sling mounts are rare to find nowadays, is this true?

Without checking, I'd say 4th Series from memory but Chris Thrale's book will confirm for sure.

Yes, factory fitted sling eyes were an optional extra and consequently fairly scarce today.

The Mk3 and Supertarget were marketed alongside each other, so no, not a transitional model between the two.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Without checking, I'd say 4th Series from memory but Chris Thrale's book will confirm for sure.

Yes, factory fitted sling eyes were an optional extra and consequently fairly scarce today.

The Mk3 and Supertarget were marketed alongside each other, so no, not a transitional model between the two.

John
    Thanks John, what intrigued me was the mounts & sling as I've never seen them before, when I did a search I couldn't find much info, canvas case is also a plus & the beautiful piece of walnut

I guess peep sight was just another optional extra?
    Last edited by Lee5159; 22-03-2023 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee5159 View Post
    Thanks John, what intrigued me was the mounts & sling as I've never seen them before, when I did a search I couldn't find much info, canvas case is also a plus & the beautiful piece of walnut

I guess peep sight was just another optional extra?
    Nice walnut is a given with many Mk 3's. My late one I bought just because of it!
    The foresight protector, swivels, leather sling, peep sight, canvas/plastic covers were all available as extras.
    As it has a scope rail, I would guess a series 5, introduced in 1961. Made up to 1965ish. The Thrale book is excellent for info.

ATB

Bru
    Last edited by laverdabru; 22-03-2023 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Reminded to look it up..
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Nice walnut is a given with many Mk 3's. My late one I bought just because of it!
    The foresight protector, swivels, leather sling, peep sight, canvas/plastic covers were all available as extras.
    As it has a scope rail, I would guess a series 5, introduced in 1961. Made up to 1965ish. The Thrale book is excellent for info.

ATB

Bru
    Thanks Bru,

I've just been watching fieldsport cymru on YouTube he mentioned series 5 was the first to have scope rails fitted but he also mention's by series 5 they got rid of the serrated tap loader, the grooves on rear of cylinder & a more straight trigger

My rifle has serrated tap loader, curved trigger, grooves on rear of cylinder & scope rail, possibly a late series 4 or very early series 5?
    Last edited by Lee5159; 22-03-2023 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks Bru,

I've just been watching fieldsport cymru on YouTube he mentioned series 5 was the first to have scope rails fitted but he also mention's by series 5 they got rid of the serrated tap loader, the grooves on rear of cylinder & a more straight trigger

My rifle has serrated tap loader, curved trigger, grooves on rear of cylinder & scope rail, possibly a late series 4 or very early series 5?
    In 70 odd years since manufacture a lot can happen to a gun. Also, Webley might use old stocks of components up before fitting the 'new' spec items. The Thrale book quotes the earliest known series 5 no as 41752. The highest known series 4 as 39352...I think you said your no was 41064?
    The book also mentions a serrated tap lever being seen on a 5 series gun no 44909, made in Dec 1964.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

If it has a scope rail then it is a Series 5.
    Is it the dumbell shape or straight
    M.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeymoo View Post
    If it has a scope rail then it is a Series 5.
    Is it the dumbell shape or straight
    M.
    Its the dumbell shape scope mount

Its the dumbell shape scope mount
    The dumbbell was replaced by the parallel sided rail in 1965, although there were also some half cut versions, according to the Thrale book. It also mentions later Mk 5's having a blued trigger, rather than the polished steel of before.

HTH

Bru

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    The highest known series 4 as 39352...I think you said your no was 41064?
    The book also mentions a serrated tap lever being seen on a 5 series gun no 44909, made in Dec 1964.

ATB

Bru
    Sorry my mistake, its 42064 series 5