Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optima Moonlighter?

Optima Moonlighter?

I was wondering what the opinions are on the Optima Moonlighter range?
    I am looking for a suitable scope for this eighties Bowkett ssp.
    It now has a Nikko Stirling Mountmaster, but it would be nice to find something period.
    I think a relatively big lense looks best on this gun.
    Perhaps not x56, but x45 would be nice.

Is the optical quality decent?
    Remembering that John Darling liked the scope, it must be nice?

Cheers, Louis

Ps. Other eighties scope sugestions would be welcome.
    I would like to have AO.

I have three optima scopes, 4x40wa 3-9x45 and a 3-9x56 with adjustable object, all provide clear sharp images
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

It’s nice enough but now hard to get hold of the Tasco AG range might be worth a look .

Period Scope

ASI 3-9 X 56 ao. Tasco 4 x 40 AG ao. Kassnar 3-9 x 56 ao. Mach 1.5

Optima Moonlighter?

Bushmaster,Nikko gold crown anything with Japanese glass(Hakko)

Good glass, made by Hakko. Other choices as above.

Tasco 2-7x32AO was v popular with early/mid 80s FT crowd and might fit well.

Or something small and cool like a Beeman SS2?

I have a few Kassnar scopes Inc a couple of there Beta range and the 4x40 pa with the swastika reticle.... 3x9x56 is a massive scope.... I also want their 4x18x40pa if anyone has one.... Nice SSP BTW..

kassnar are great scopes

Period scope

A Burris or Weaver scope would look nice.

Optimas are very period, but often do need reparallaxing. They did change a bit over the years. I have a few and at best think they are pretty average performance wise.
    Kasnar scopes are over rated IMHO. Had the big 56 in the day and what a disappointment. The reticules break too easily too.
    I still think Tasco made some of the best early scopes. If without PA then they can be reparallaxed. Nikko a mixed bag and so many out there to wade through finding a good one.
    A true branded Hakko should be terrific.
    Some B&L are very good. Some Weaver and Bushnell not bad. Leupold did some of the best, though always expensive.

Interestingly I never found the big objectives from the less expensive brands actually worked at getting any better a picture or grabbing light. Build quality let the whole side down and the glass. The Tasco 50s were horrid. 56's a brick and I have nothing good to say about any of them from all the branded cheaper scopes. Better to get a smaller objective with better glass, design, and coatings.
    Most BDCs weren't repeatable enough to rely on. Turret build quality wasn't ever very good; so zero and leave alone was best.

I've had some fun over the years finding out not many scopes meet their hype.
    Last edited by Muskett; 22-03-2023 at 08:45 PM.

I have a old Vistascope 4x40

Anyone know more?

Vista Scope

Vista Scopes were distributed by Trapshot of Lye. I think they were produced by Kassnar as their cheaper range! but still good glass. Prices from £35 - £45 back in 1984. Mach 1.5
    Last edited by Mach 1.5; 22-03-2023 at 08:40 PM.

Thank you gents for all the interesting replies.

I think that a Moonlighter 3-9x45 would be at the top of my wishlist.
    I won't expect super glass, but with this gun, it only looks right with quite a large lense, and I do find aesthetics important (although glass quality should actually be more important...). The x56 is probably too large.

Hakko and Leupold would be excellent, but probably not in my price range.

This is a smaller scope (Ednar 4x32) to illustrate my preference for a bigger lense on this gun:

Another option would be go for a straight tube objective. They are very retro on older rifles and often look good on tricky rifles that don't look good with a scope whatever it is. Search carefully as some have very nice glass.

Though I knock Optimas for being a bit average, they still do the job nicely. I have one 4x40 and two Moonlighters. There are the Super Moonlighters with or without P/O Parallax, though they are getting a chunky.

Half my scopes match my Scope snob side, and half my retro collectors side. If a scope looks good on the rifle, then it probably is right for the rifle. A lot of good looking rifles have their looks ruined by poor choice of mounts and scopes.

Good luck with your search.