Thread: Beeman R7 (HW30) with stock made by Frank Korn

Beeman R7 (HW30) with stock made by Frank Korn

A week ago I picked up a Titan Mohawk here in Holland.
    The seller turned out to have been a very good friend of the late Frank Korn.
    He showed to me his HW30 with a stock that Frank had made.
    This gun wasn't for sale, but after having a look on the Dutch version of Gunstar, I saw another HW30 that had belonged to Frank.
    Not too expensive, and the stock was handmade by Frank from a walnut tree in Heerlen, a place in the South of Holland.
    It's actually a Beeman R7, and I believe that the stock shape is inspired by Maccari.
    I just wanted to share this, as it is a testament to the great talent that Frank had.
    The gun shoots very well. Luckily there is no galling, and it looks like Frank made a delrin spring guide.
    The brass trigger is different from Rowan triggers; probably another Korn creation.
    Cheers, Louis

Handsome stock.

Wow! Now that IS a beauty.. Very graceful lines and beautifully proportioned.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Now that is a sweet thing indeed.

Lovely bit of wood Louis. I remember when Frank bought his stock duplicator. I knew it was the start of great things.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thats a lovelly bit of well shaped wood... very modern looking.

Elegant lines on a nice piece of timber. You have to like it !

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Lovely bit of wood Louis. I remember when Frank bought his stock duplicator. I knew it was the start of great things.
    That is interesting Danny.
    I remember seeing stock duplicators on photos of the old BSA and Crosman factories.
    Does this mean that Frank inserted a piece of wood, pressed a button and then did hand finishing at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by jirushi View Post
    I remember seeing stock duplicators on photos of the old BSA and Crosman factories.
    Does this mean that Frank inserted a piece of wood, pressed a button and then did hand finishing at the end?
    I think he sent me a pic of it and I looked but couldn't find it. TBH I'm not sure how it worked but I assumed it was more manual than that and involved having a router that followed the pattern more like a key cutting machine?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

With a stock duplicating machine, CNC guided one's would do all the work for you, having seen them on youtube.

Manual duplicators work on the principle of you cutting the stock blank to roughly the shape of the stock your wishing to match and you then route out the shape and inletting, it looks time consuming but you can do more than one at a time on multi rigged jigs.

Type in on the search bar

Weihrauch HW50 Stock duplicating

Paul Watts on you tube
    Last edited by HW777; 19-02-2023 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Added info
    Hw77+7

I forgot to reply on your interesting comments, HW77.
    I have had a look at Paul Watss on Youtube.
    Fascinating!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nqMvKBgHVo

Paul's Youtube channel is cool. Lots of things to learn from him.

This is the Beeman R7 after lots of work.
    The stock was quite dry and the grain open, so I did 5 coats of CCL oil (1 per 48 hours). I needed a bit of CCL oil hardener at the end, and think that it's simply turpentine?
    Seems to work well at getting excess oil off, and giving a hard, dry feeling to the finish.

I installed a Vortek PG4 kit. The internals were standard and ok, but shooting behaviour is much better now. Velocity went up from 610 to 675 ft/s using 7.33 gr JSB. That 7.4 ft/lbs, which sounds fine for a HW30.

I took the Rekord apart and removed the old, hardened grease. Polished the sears and lubed with moly grease.

The hardest part was curing the galling problem. This gun was galling a lot; deep tracts in the outside of the cylinder. I filled them up with JB Weld and made an insert for the cocking link, using plastic cutting board. It was a lot of work to get the dimensions of this insert exactly right. Now there's no galling "no mo".

Tremendous, classic lines on that stock.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

I forgot to reply on your interesting comments, HW77.
    I have had a look at Paul Watss on Youtube.
    Fascinating!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nqMvKBgHVo

Paul's Youtube channel is cool. Lots of things to learn from him.

This is the Beeman R7 after lots of work.
    The stock was quite dry and the grain open, so I did 5 coats of CCL oil (1 per 48 hours). I needed a bit of CCL oil hardener at the end, and think that it's simply turpentine?
    Seems to work well at getting excess oil off, and giving a hard, dry feeling to the finish.

I installed a Vortek PG4 kit. The internals were standard and ok, but shooting behaviour is much better now. Velocity went up from 610 to 675 ft/s using 7.33 gr JSB. That 7.4 ft/lbs, which sounds fine for a HW30.

I took the Rekord apart and removed the old, hardened grease. Polished the sears and lubed with moly grease.

The hardest part was curing the galling problem. This gun was galling a lot; deep tracts in the outside of the cylinder. I filled them up with JB Weld and made an insert for the cocking link, using plastic cutting board. It was a lot of work to get the dimensions of this insert exactly right. Now there's no galling "no mo".

Nice work.

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    Quote Originally Posted by HW777 View Post
    With a stock duplicating machine, CNC guided one's would do all the work for you, having seen them on youtube.

Manual duplicators work on the principle of you cutting the stock blank to roughly the shape of the stock your wishing to match and you then route out the shape and inletting, it looks time consuming but you can do more than one at a time on multi rigged jigs.

Type in on the search bar

Weihrauch HW50 Stock duplicating

Paul Watts on you tube
    I guess for higher ticket items like HW's it makes sense to use nicer stocks, and invest in a custom job from a duplicator.

Are there any less expensive means of duplicating, though? Us paupers with Brummie Webleys often struggle to find even a used old stock.