Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Longbow v Tomahawk

They are selling the Tx200 in walnut for £770 ish.
    Possibly £650-720 ?. For the Pro Bow.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    They are selling the Tx200 in walnut for £770 ish.
    Possibly £650-720 ?. For the Pro Bow.
    With prices like that, is it not about time we forgot our air gun snobbery and look to the east for a maker to reproduce the Tommy or Longbow ?
    Last edited by HW777; 23-03-2023 at 03:20 AM.
    Hw77+7

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by HW777 View Post
    With prices like that, is it not about time we forgot our air gun snobbery and look to the east for a maker to reproduce the Tommy or Longbow ?
    Well the Turks have already had a go, with the official Webley machines and parts and they couldn't even do it properly.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Hi Tony. Yep TopDog increased the stroke to 6mm in conjunction with Mr Pope. The extra stroke makes the .177 version shoot alot nicer. My .20 cal longbow has this conversion. Mach 1.5
    Thank you, Paul. I bet your .20 'Bow is a lovely thing to behold and shoot and now comes with added exclusivity and sentimental value.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Well the Turks have already had a go, with the official Webley machines and parts and they couldn't even do it properly.
    While that remains a moot point, Remington, Diana and a few other makers source their air gun components from the east.

They have upped their game and are very adapt at making copies of well known air gun products

Something went wrong when Webley turned to Turkey for their production

Webley/Hatsan turned to Steve Pope to be their tech consultant, which quite frankly was a blatant insult to the man
    Hw77+7

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    Ask the machinists and quality control team at QYS to spearhead the manufacture, and you'll upset more than just the purists.

Quote Originally Posted by HW777 View Post
    While that remains a moot point, Remington, Diana and a few other makers source their air gun components from the east.

They have upped their game and are very adapt at making copies of well known air gun products

Something went wrong when Webley turned to Turkey for their production

Webley/Hatsan turned to Steve Pope to be their tech consultant, which quite frankly was a blatant insult to the man
    I know the Chinese can make good quality stuff if they are paid for it, the problem I think what happened with Hatsan making Webleys where AGS who just bought Webley, where doing the usual make everything to a price so they could make more profit, I've had dealings with Chinese Air rifles and some if them are not to bad but they need to up their game considerably to make a Webley to the original Birmingham standard of quality.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I know the Chinese can make good quality stuff if they are paid for it, the problem I think what happened with Hatsan making Webleys where AGS who just bought Webley, where doing the usual make everything to a price so they could make more profit, I've had dealings with Chinese Air rifles and some if them are not to bad but they need to up their game considerably to make a Webley to the original Birmingham standard of quality.
    This eastern Tomahank/Longbow rifle concept Pete, is all pie in the sky

AA will not pick up the calling to make a BB or a reproduction of what was Webley/Venom's mass production BB's at their best.

EU airgun makers now only focus on profit, which leaves the eastern company's to offer a service of making air gun components made to a price, if the bar is not set to low, they can match the quality of engineering needed to make just about any product.

With the right tech consultant and QC manager, rifle components make in China, blued and assembled in the UK would fill a gap in the air gun world, which sounds just the job for BAM/SMK or whatever makers badge they wish to pin too themselves.

We could have Tomahawk/Longbow copy, blued to British standards with a T06 or Rekord trigger, TX200 type piston, SMK 208 or HW99 style cocking lever and a British made CS 500 walnut stock, all for the price that matches a top end Cometa rifle

And as fickle as I can be, I would buy a Tomahawk or Longbow reproduction rifle from the first batch if made around the above spec

All the best

John

HW777
    Hw77+7

Tommy

Isn't the Tommy made in India now under webley licence and complete with open sights? Mach 1.5

Isn't the Tommy made in India now under webley licence and complete with open sights? Mach 1.5
    I've seen them as well, they certainly know how to spoil the looks of sleek rifle, the smooth rounded top of the breech blocks look smart so why spoil it with opens.
    Last edited by look no hands; 23-03-2023 at 06:38 PM.

Firstly.......

Hi Tony. Yep TopDog increased the stroke to 6mm in conjunction with Mr Pope. The extra stroke makes the .177 version shoot alot nicer. My .20 cal longbow has this conversion. Mach 1.5
    Thanks to all who have replied and added to my education - greatly appreciated - thank you all!

Mach 1.5 is .20 a readily available calibre for one of these Webleys if you can find one, or is this a bespoke project that you have engineered for yourself?

As a .20 affectionardo, would a Birmingham made .20 Longbow be the hens-tooth I should think about?

Please let me know.
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!

Longbow

The Longbow was never made in .20 cal. This was a one off project between David & Steve. The Longbow used LW barrels and Steve had a spare one in this cal so made sense to use it. Goes well with my .20 cal Stingray and Tommy. Mach 1.5

Many thanks!

The Longbow was never made in .20 cal. This was a one off project between David & Steve. The Longbow used LW barrels and Steve had a spare one in this cal so made sense to use it. Goes well with my .20 cal Stingray and Tommy. Mach 1.5
    Thanks for the update. Sounds like something unique - do they have barrels that can be removed and replaced easily like the Webley Hawk did?
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!

Longbow

Barrels are glued in on the Tommy and Longbow. Mach 1.5

Too close to the north-east for comfort (Northalle
    Barrels are glued in on the Tommy and Longbow. Mach 1.5
    not on my Tommy..