Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theoben rapid leaking air

Theoben rapid leaking air

i live in Hertfordshire and have got a Theoben rapid mk1 leaking air as soon as i put the bottle on it. Can anybody recommend somewhere around the Hitchin area to get it repaired as most gun shops have closed down and i dont want to post it

Regards Darren

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Neil at Sundon Models in The Quadrant Dunstable gets his repairs done by Dave Welham
    Pete

Where is the air coming from?

O ring on the buddy bottle ?
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Where is the air coming from?

not really sure will have another look as soon as i screw the bottle in you can hear it leaking out the gun

Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawler View Post
    O ring on the buddy bottle ?
    no i changed the o ring

Quote Originally Posted by MECHANIC 22 View Post
    i live in Hertfordshire and have got a Theoben rapid mk1 leaking air as soon as i put the bottle on it. Can anybody recommend somewhere around the Hitchin area to get it repaired as most gun shops have closed down and i dont want to post it

Regards Darren
    Rapids are simple, where/how it leaks will point directly to what's wrong.

If it leaks from the joint as the bottle is tightened that points to the bottle O ring, packs of 10 are on eblag if you search for them, a simple fix for a few £.
    If it leaks down the barrel, the air is getting through the exhaust valve,
    sometimes just cocking the action will stop it by taking weight off the valve stem, sometimes dry firing will stop it by seating the valve,
    sometimes it still leaks & needs a replacement valve, again easily available from Dr Bob, & a doddle to change.

In fact the gun is such a doddle to service, I'd say buy a new seal kit & do the whole thing it takes less than an hour, of course if you don't own any tools that's not possible.

(If leaking from where the bottle threads in) Is the bottle original or brand new? If new from (eg) Best Fittings, it may be that the stud in the valve is fractionally too long- thus opening the valve but preventing the bottle screwing on completely (regardless of o-ring condition). Had a similar issue with an R10 bottle, they sent various new valve inserts and I fitted the 'best' length and it solved the problem. (I didn't want to adjust the R10 itself as I wanted to still be able to use the original bottle).

ok i have taken the action out of the stock and it seems to be coming out of a silver cap underneath inline with the trigger
    Last edited by MECHANIC 22; 22-03-2023 at 10:11 AM.

OK, that access plug uses a "Dowty seal" or bonded washer, a soft metal washer with a rubber seal bonded to it, not sure of the size off hand but easy to measure.
    just replace it.

edit, the plug is 1/4BSP so look for a Dowty /bonded washer to fit .
    Last edited by angrybear; 22-03-2023 at 11:16 AM.

Many thanks everyone for your help. Removed the seal turned it over leak stopped so i will get a new seal ordered

Regards Darren

Folk knock rapids but the beauty of the simplicity is highlighted right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Anothermiss View Post
    Folk knock rapids but the beauty of the simplicity is highlighted right here.
    I agree out of all my guns the rapid is the one i will never get rid of

the old seal started to leak again so ordered one from the bay fitted it now its like new love this gun if any one needs a seal around the Stevenage area I've got 4 spare so your welcome to one

Quote Originally Posted by MECHANIC 22 View Post
    the old seal started to leak again so ordered one from the bay fitted it now its like new love this gun if any one needs a seal around the Stevenage area I've got 4 spare so your welcome to one
    Don't give them all away , I make sure I've always got at least two full seal kits on standby, along with plenty of bottle seals,
    nothing worse than losing use of a rifle for the sake of a 10p seal.