Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walther Dominator.

Hi Bob

LG400 FT has the same cocking lever as the 10m LG400's.

My understanding is that if you wanted to convert your Lg400 to 16J, all you would need is an LG300 16J regulator and a spacer ring.

(see https://airgunaccuracy.wordpress.com...for-the-lg400/)

Quote Originally Posted by Discocom View Post
    Hi Bob

LG400 FT has the same cocking lever as the 10m LG400's.

My understanding is that if you wanted to convert your Lg400 to 16J, all you would need is an LG300 16J regulator and a spacer ring.

(see https://airgunaccuracy.wordpress.com...for-the-lg400/)
    Hi Tim,

The cocking lever on an LG400 has quite a large off-set to space it away from the stock and I can see from the picture link you supplied that it can clear the scope quite easily.

This is not the case with the LG300 cocking lever which is much closer to the stock and actually hits the underside of the scope during its upward travel during cocking. This is the reason why the cocking lever on the Dominator (LG300) is entirely different.

It looks like it would be much easier to convert an LG400 mechanism to an FT rifle than it is to convert an LG300 mechanism for FT use.

Bob.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Lg300

The later versions of the LG300 Dominator had an offset cocking lever, the earlier ones it was close to the action if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by old barn View Post
    The later versions of the LG300 Dominator had an offset cocking lever, the earlier ones it was close to the action if it helps.

That looks like the example I was able to see and shoot recently.

Now I see what you mean...

The LG300 Dominators do look nice, must be good as rarely see them for sale?

The LG400 also allows not only for the cocking lever to be mounted on the left or right hand side of the rifle but it can also be mounted to operate in a downward motion rather than having to lift it up, so instead of the lever getting closer to the scope during the cocking action is is actually getting further away from the scope as the rifle is cocked.

This is a major advantage that the older model LG300 does not have.

The Dominator is an LG300 and it needed the cocking lever to be redesigned to allow it to clear the scope and is why mounting a scope on an LG300 match rifle does not work without some (serious) modification to the cocking lever.

I have a short cocking lever 5-6cm long on my LG400 which doesn't foul the scope. It's also fitted so it is pushed down instead of pulled up to open the breech, so it's a double-win. This is easy to arrange on Wathers, at least on LG400s and I suspect also on the Dominator based on it. Probably not so practical to do that with the original long lever though.

This short lever is definitely a Walther part but I can't find it in their catalogue at the moment. The guy that sold the rifle to me had sourced it himself and said it was originally for their target sprint rifles, but it fits the 400 no problem. Here's a site that does a 3d-printed version though.

Sorry to repeat much of what was in the previous couple of posts. I 'replied' to the thread witout having read anything on Page 2. Apologies.

I have (at last) been able to find a really nice condition wood stocked Dominator.

A used Sidewinder scope was mounted on it tonight and was quickly zeroed-in with no problem.

Initial (short) tests look very promising, but I am away now in the van for a week or so but I will look forward to testing it properly when I get back in a couple of week time.

Sounds promising Bob...

Bet you cant wait to get back.

Quote Originally Posted by 4ndy View Post
    Sounds promising Bob...

Bet you cant wait to get back.
    My Dominator has had the quick fill modification to the air cylinder so it now refills with a “snap-on” Air Arms style adaptor (the same as the one on my Pro Target).

This means that I don’t have the manometer on the end of the cylinder to advise of the current air supply available.

Although this fast filling arrangement is preferred by many, I am used to 10 metre target shooting where it is usual to remove the cylinder for refilling or exchanging for a different cylinder.

I will see how it goes, but I am guessing that it is still possible to unscrew the air cylinder and screw on a standard cylinder in the usual way?

A standard Walther air cylinder would suite me better at the moment as I like to see what air I have left, so if I can simply unscrew it from the action in the normal way, I can swap cylinders with my Walther match rifles...
    Last edited by zooma; 03-06-2023 at 09:57 PM.

Taking a look at the air cylinder fitted to my Dominator, I found that it still had all the original Walther stamping on it and so I guessed that it only had the manometer removed and a “fast fill” valve fitted in its place.

After taking just over 100 shots, I knew the air pressure was quite low so I unscrewed it and found that it really was only the manometer that had been changed for a fast fill valve and that the other end of the cylinder was still “standard fit” and could be removed and refitted in the usual way.

Now I know that, I have the choice of using the modified filling type cylinder that came with my Dominator, or fitting any of my standard cylinders from my LG300XT or LG400 match rifles.

Happy days!