Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther Dominator.

Walther Dominator.

As a long-term shooter of Walther PCP Match rifles, I am looking at buying my first Walther Dominator for bench rest and possibly outdoor target use (with a scope) and suddenly realise that I know nothing about the Dominators development from the first type to those currently available.

As this will be a used purchase, I would like to try to find out a little more about them before buying one.

I am aware that many of the LG300 and LG400 mechanical parts are shared with the Dominators but at some stage during its production history the stock shape changed from a fairly traditional shape made from wood, to something a little more modern that was available with both a laminated wooden stock and an alloy stock.

I am looking at a Walther Dominator with a blue laminate stock later next week and believe it will be one for the early type LG300 based Dominators that had a more "conventional" style of stock shape.........possibly........

Any information about the history of the changes made from the early LG300 based Dominators to the current LG400 based Dominators would be appreciated and help me to identify them apart form each other.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I have been given a link to a site that describes the history of the Walther LG300 Dominator well enough to answer everything that I wanted to know at this stage, and although the blue laminate stock version of the Dominator is not mentioned, I have seen one, so I know that they do exist.

https://airgunaccuracy.wordpress.com...inator-rifles/

It turns-out that only the LG300 FT rifle used the name "Dominator", the LG400 FT rifle was not called a Dominator.

I have a Walther LG300 Dominator and have just bought a second hand LG400 FT in the original wood stock.

"FT" is important as it is 16J, although there are 7.5J versions so make sure you check. The 16J regulator is longer with 6 rings around it.

Both are top class target rifles and extremely accurate with superb triggers. I use them for Hunter Field Target.

They come as standard with cylinders that you have to unscrew off to fill. Some people get changed to a quick fill but I have never had an issue with them and the zero has never been affected as some claim will happen.

I love my Dommie, this is my second. It's supposed to be my back up rifle for my Rapid Air Weapons TM1000 although I got my best HFT score of 58/60 with the Dommie in its original stock. It's currently in an old alutec stock which I intend to adapt to fit the LG400FT.

The biggest problem with the Dominator is that its an obselete model. Mine is about 12 years old and spares are getting increasingly rare so, reluctantly, it will be going soon.

I am still getting used to the LG400 FT having only had it a couple of weeks, but have no reason to doubt it will be as good as the Dommie.

If you get an LG400 FT and wonder how important the big airstripper is? I can assure you its "very..."! I tried with and without and discovered the groups definitely opened up without it, especially at the longer ranges.

The biggest issue with the LG400 FT at the moment is that the prices for a new one have gone nuts! The wooden stock version used to be about £500 cheaper than the Alutec, now its around £300 more. I know the new wooden stock is made of a nicer wood than it was originally but even so!

I paid a little over £1600 for mine. (Iactually paid £2000 but it had a bunch of Field Target accessories with it which were no good to me and I sold them recovering £400 back).

I have the original wooden stock which is far from the prettiest stock I have ever seen but its design and handling is excellent.

My advice would be try and drop on a nice second hand LG400 FT and save a lot of money.

Airgunaccuracy.com is THE site for all things Walther LG300 and 400.

Hope that's of help.

Thank you for your tips and info.

Much appreciated

Walther dominator

Hi bob, we have a member at the club who used the LG400FT for benchrest and gets some good scores, his is the wood stock version.

Thanks Mark - nice to hear from you

Are you shooting bench rest at 25 meters indoors at the Bury club?

Walther dominator

Good to hear from you bob, yes shooting 25 yards inside benchrest, mixture of .22LR and airgun. Club championship last year won with airrifle for the first time FTP 900 . Another club member shooting really well using 500hft. Do you fancy having a go ?, Regards mark.

Quote Originally Posted by XDRIVER View Post
    Good to hear from you bob, yes shooting 25 yards inside benchrest, mixture of .22LR and airgun. Club championship last year won with airrifle for the first time FTP 900 . Another club member shooting really well using 500hft. Do you fancy having a go ?, Regards mark.
    It would be nice to have a shoot with you sometime over 25 yards Mark and find out "how to do it" properly

The factory LG400 FT doesn't have a recoil compensator, converted 10m versions often retain the compensator/stabiliser. The 400 has a lighter, smaller, hammer and valve than the LG300 Dominator. Both rifles use the same regulator and have the same excellent trigger parts.

The very earliest Dominators came with a smooth-sided regulator and had a conical firing valve seat. Most of these very early guns will have been updated over the last 20 odd years. These earliest Dominators also have a different-shaped action under the stock line. The main action screw has no flat surface behind it - the rifle was supplied with a weird hollow square section between the main block and forward A-clamp which formed a unified action which sat in the alutec or wooden chassis. Most people ditched this square section tube and floated the barrel. These early guns also had shorter barrels than the later guns. The later rifles came with carbon barrel sleeves. The letters 'LG' on the block of these early LG300 Dominators are more upright than on the later rifles. At some point the cocking lever changed from a pin to a larger paddle. Given a choice I'd go for a later rifle as that action shape is easier to fix in the stock/chassis using a single main screw. Mine's a very early one from 2001.

At very high milage the cocking lug on the hammer can wear through the black anodising of the action causing great mischief. Mine has had a steel insert placed into the alloy block to act as a bearing surface. The pellet probe thing subtly bends over thousands of rounds but it doesn't seem to cause any grief.

The dovetails of the 300 and 400 having differing profiles.

I've had my Dominator since about 2006 or 2007, it's been brilliant. I've got an LG400 Expert 10m rifle and that's lovely too. Nice tools.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

You contribution is really informative Simon, with lots of interesting detail gained from your own experience and observation.

You have given me some helpful "pointers" to look out for when looking at buying an LG300 Dominator.

Many thanks!

Bob.
    Last edited by zooma; 28-03-2023 at 10:26 AM.

Walther dominator

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    It would be nice to have a shoot with you sometime over 25 yards Mark and find out "how to do it" properly
    Will try and sought something out at the club, a Wednesday night may be best as it's airgun only night.

Walther ProTouch

I have a mint condition Walther ProTouch that I no longer use, so I thought that I would fit a scope and take it to the club and shoot it until I find a Dominator (or possibly an LG400 FT).

The rifle looks superb with the scope fitted on high mounts, and mounting the Sidewinder scope was easy enough........and as long as I did't want to shoot it, I have a perfect combo that looks good and feels nice too.

The problem is that the cocking lever fouls the scope so I cannot use it.

If there is a simple fix that will not spoil the rifle in any way (or if I can find a slimmer scope that will clear the cocking lever) then I would still like to try it, but I will not do anything that will mark or spoil the ProTouch as it is perfect and it would be a shame to spoil it just to shoot it with a scope fitted as a short term measure.

There must be a simple fix as several Walther match rifles have been converted for FT or HFT use. When I get to see a Dominator I am sure the answer will be obvious, but I am guessing that the cocking lever has a different shape to clear a scope?

A lot of FT shooters fit the scope on an elevated rail which allows the cocking lever some room. I have an AJP rail on mine which has the end of one of the fixing screws ground down to give clearance. I shot an HFT event once and had to grind a piece off the underside of one of the mounts lower saddle.

There's always a way.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

Hi Simon,

When I have a little more time I will take a look at it, but I am hoping to see a Dominator tomorrow and I will take a good look at the cocking lever shape as it could be a little more suited for FT use than the LG300XT type that is straight and stands vertically under the scope position when the breach is opened.

As you suggest - "there is always a way"!

Bob.

I was able to see and shoot a Dominator last night and I can now see why the cocking lever on my Walther ProTouch match rifle fouled the scope whereas the Dominator cocking lever clears it so easily.

The cocking lever is a different shape altogether and has been designed for use with a scope.

With that in mind, I think I will sell my mint Walther ProTouch match rifle (rather than try to modify it) and use the cash to buy a good Dominator - or maybe an LG400FT.